1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Mar '19 13:59
    Seems like Modi thinks like that. For me it is not. It is a technological one. But hitting something in Orbit to further litter space is not someting to celebrate.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Mar '19 16:17
    @ponderable said
    Seems like Modi thinks like that. For me it is not. It is a technological one. But hitting something in Orbit to further litter space is not someting to celebrate.
    Didn't hear about that one. What was the reasoning behind that move? I hear of technologies that involve capture, like a big bag or some such but what did they do?
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Mar '19 16:46
    @sonhouse

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/03/india-shoots-satellite-joining-space-super-league-modi-190327071419578.html
    is one source.

In short India shot down a "life" satellite to Show that they can defend against attacks from space.

I would have much rather read that they caught a satellite and brought it down to earth.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Mar '19 17:21
    @ponderable said
    @sonhouse

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/03/india-shoots-satellite-joining-space-super-league-modi-190327071419578.html
    is one source.

In short India shot down a "life" satellite to Show that they can defend against attacks from space.

I would have much rather read that they caught a satellite and brought it down to earth.
    Yes, especially if it was say a Russian spy sat and we could glean some info on its technology. Did they say how they killed it? Missile shot?
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Mar '19 00:55
    @sonhouse

It's also reported here [1]. According to the article they shot down one of their own low Earth orbit satellites using a missile. The Indians claim that the resultant debris will clear in about 45 days, experts from other nations cast doubt on this claim. Although the article does not discuss this, I suspect that the purpose is to create an anti-ballistic missile defence. I don't think that there is a tremendous advantage in shooting down satellites.

[1] https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-47729568
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '19 14:31
    @deepthought said
    @sonhouse

It's also reported here [1]. According to the article they shot down one of their own low Earth orbit satellites using a missile. The Indians claim that the resultant debris will clear in about 45 days, experts from other nations cast doubt on this claim. Although the article does not discuss this, I suspect that the purpose is to create an anti-ballistic ...[text shortened]... s advantage in shooting down satellites.

It seems to me a collision with a missile and a sat would make a debris field that would send maybe half the debris into higher orbits and maybe half into lower crash orbits.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    01 Apr '19 23:141 edit
    @sonhouse said
    Didn't hear about that one. What was the reasoning behind that move? I hear of technologies that involve capture, like a big bag or some such but what did they do?
    The same reason China, Russia and the USA did it. To demonstrate that they can take out recon and GPS satellites.

EDIT - Missile from any number of platforms air ground or sea.
  8. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    02 Apr '19 18:51
    @deepthought said
    @sonhouse

It's also reported here [1]. According to the article they shot down one of their own low Earth orbit satellites using a missile. The Indians claim that the resultant debris will clear in about 45 days, experts from other nations cast doubt on this claim. Although the article does not discuss this, I suspect that the purpose is to create an anti-ballistic ...[text shortened]... s advantage in shooting down satellites.

You don't? Killing comm. and spy sats, GPS, missile guidance systems and on and on. Sure slow down a war.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Apr '19 19:41
    @kquinn909 said
    You don't? Killing comm. and spy sats, GPS, missile guidance systems and on and on. Sure slow down a war.
    The game goes on in stealth sats and such. If they can't paint it with radar or see it in IR or some such, they can't be shot down.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 15:51
    @kquinn909 said
    Spy satellite's are relatively easy to deal with. One simply needs to know when they are going over as far as tactical maneuvers are concerned and at the strategic level knowledge of what the adversaries analysts conclusions will be gives one a potential means of feeding false data. GPS and, I assume, communications and missile guidance are not in low earth orbit.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 20:26
    @deepthought said
    Spy satellite's are relatively easy to deal with. One simply needs to know when they are going over as far as tactical maneuvers are concerned and at the strategic level knowledge of what the adversaries analysts conclusions will be gives one a potential means of feeding false data. GPS and, I assume, communications and missile guidance are not in low earth orbit.
    Still, if there is a stealth sat was there say an hour later, they would reveal stuff the ones on the ground didn't want you to see. My guess is there are such out there already. You know, the Hubble isn't the only 2 meter scope on a sat, there are something like a dozen, only not pointing UP😉
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Apr '19 22:43
    @sonhouse said
    Still, if there is a stealth sat was there say an hour later, they would reveal stuff the ones on the ground didn't want you to see. My guess is there are such out there already. You know, the Hubble isn't the only 2 meter scope on a sat, there are something like a dozen, only not pointing UP😉
    Sure, but these things are how nuclear non-proliferation and arms limitation treaties such as START are enforced.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree