1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Jan '21 08:59
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.15.21249885v1

In a nutshell: People having been discharged from hospital have a much higher chance to be readmitted to hospital and an equally increased chance to to die months after being released.

These cases are not counted as COVID-19 death.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 00:09
    @Ponderable
    Interesting how only people with compromised immune systems to begin with end up in the hospital.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 05:52
    @eladar said
    @Ponderable
    Interesting how only people with compromised immune systems to begin with end up in the hospital.
    Why do you keep harping on this? My sister is a transplant recipient so is vulnerable, even though she's perfectly healthy and not deficient in vitamin D. Do you really think your uninformed opinion is worth anything?
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 07:46
    @eladar said
    @Ponderable
    Actually hospitals are established for ill persons. The healthy don't require a doctor...

Compromised immune system: cause or effect of illness, and if effect maybe cause for the next?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 16:09
    @Eladar
    And OF COURSE that is ALL due to their lack of vitamin D.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 21:291 edit
    @Kewpie
    Let me restate that, only people with compromised immune systems end up in the hospital due to covid.

I swear people around here are intentionally argumentative over nothing.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 21:31
    @sonhouse
    I said immune system, not simply vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is simply one of the most common reasons why people have messed up immune systems.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Jan '21 05:19
    @eladar said
    @sonhouse
    I said immune system, not simply vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is simply one of the most common reasons why people have messed up immune systems.
    It's one of the reasons. I doubt that it's one of the common ones. We lead pretty unnatural lives nowadays and there are a lot of reasons why our immunity may be low.
    Poor genetic inheritance, poor nutrition, poverty, lots of different medications, chemo or radiotherapy, mental health problems, and all kinds of stress. Here's a few more:
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/disorders-of-the-immune-system

Vitamin deficiency is just one of a very long list. If you have lupus or PTSD, megadoses of any vitamin are unlikely to make the condition go away.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '21 05:49
    @kewpie said
    It's one of the reasons. I doubt that it's one of the common ones. We lead pretty unnatural lives nowadays and there are a lot of reasons why our immunity may be low.
    Poor genetic inheritance, poor nutrition, poverty, lots of different medications, chemo or radiotherapy, mental health problems, and all kinds of stress. Here's a few more:
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/he ...[text shortened]... st. If you have lupus or PTSD, megadoses of any vitamin are unlikely to make the condition go away.
    The Vitamin D deficiency story has been doing the rounds on the conspiracy websites since covid kicked off, and before. It’s part of and feeds into the whole “covid-19 doesn’t exist” mantra.

I have two hard-core conspiracy theorists in my family and the “VIT-D” rhetoric has been relentless. One of them takes 1000s of mg of Vit D supplements a day. They pay to get their blood levels of Vit D checked and go on and on and on and on and on and on about it.

As you say, it’s one factor, and it is important generally for good health, like Vit C. But serious covid-19 symptoms are caused by a multitude of factors.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '21 19:07
    @divegeester
    I am doing 20k each day, will cut it back as the sun gets higher in the sky.

This should be a source that you believe is true.

A study of healthy women in the USA found a significant inverse relationship between the serum levels of 25(OH)D and TNF-alpha.8 In another report, the levels of IL6 were found to be increased in those who were vitamin D deficient. In a wide variety of animal studies and in vitro cell models, vitamin D3 has been demonstrated to downregulate the production of inflammatory cytokines, such as TNF-alpha and IL6, while increasing inhibitory cytokines.9 These studies raise the possibility that adequate levels of vitamin D may reduce the incidence of cytokine storm, which can occur in COVID-19.

Thrombotic complications are common in COVID-19 patients.10 Of those with severe disease, over half have been found to have elevated D-dimer levels. Interestingly, vitamin D is also involved in the regulation of thrombotic pathways, and vitamin D deficiency is associated with an increase in thrombotic episodes.11 Vitamin D deficiency has also been found to occur more frequently in patients with obesity and diabetes. These conditions are reported to carry a higher mortality in COVID-19. An increased risk of death with COVID-19 is also observed in black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) groups. As melanin reduces the production of vitamin D sociated with exposure to the ultraviolet radiation in sunlight, this may help to explain the observed frequent occurrence of vitamin D deficiency in BAME groups.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7385774/
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '21 20:24
    https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/942497

Vitamin D deficiency on admission to hospital was associated with a 3.7-fold increase in the odds of dying from COVID-19, according to an observational study looking back at data from the first wave of the pandemic.

Nearly 60% of patients with COVID-19 were vitamin D deficient upon hospitalization, with men in the advanced stages of COVID-19 pneumonia showing the greatest deficit.
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Jan '21 14:20
    @eladar said
    https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/942497

Vitamin D deficiency on admission to hospital was associated with a 3.7-fold increase in the odds of dying from COVID-19, according to an observational study looking back at data from the first wave of the pandemic.

Nearly 60% of patients with COVID-19 were vitamin D deficient upon hospitalization, with men in the advanced stages of COVID-19 pneumonia showing the greatest deficit.
    "I am doing 20k each day, will cut it back as the sun gets higher in the sky."
    I once read that you only really get a good level of vitamin d from sunshine when the sun is high and even then if you don't use sunblock.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '21 21:441 edit
    @venda said
    "I am doing 20k each day, will cut it back as the sun gets higher in the sky."
    I once read that you only really get a good level of vitamin d from sunshine when the sun is high and even then if you don't use sunblock.
    Blocking UVB would just make it impossible to make vitamin D.

Depends on how far north you live as to how late in the year you can start getting vitamin D by sun exposure. Best exposure is around noon. On a good sunny day, your body makes more than 20k IU of vitamin D.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '21 22:00
    I would like to point out the title of the thread is misleading and entirely untrue. It is not a study of getting covid, but of having such a bad immune system you get hospitalized by covid.

Only a very small proportion of the population gets hospitalized, to say that they represent the entire population is a lie.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 07:15
    @Eladar
    Yeah, a half million DEAD means nothing. No big deal if you survive but get permanent brain damage or kidney damage, nothing to see here folks, go back to your homes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree