1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 21:02
    @sonhouse said
    @Suzianne
    It sucks that you have to get very close to c to have much effect on perceived travel time. Like at 0.5 c, you only save about 15% of perceived travel time which is SOMETHING but not a project for the record books. It only gets significant at 0.99c or so. At that velocity, a trip of 100 light years would take you inside the ship a perceived time of about 14 years ...[text shortened]... eling 100 light years at .99 c of about 200 years going by on Earth and 30 years for the travellers.
    My twins are Vulcans. They can live to over 200 years.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Aug '22 06:341 edit
    @Soothfast
    Well then they would never live to see the large magellenic clouds:"😉
    Well maybe if they could go 0.9999999999999999c but they would get back to Earth about 300,000 years later🙂
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 19:56
    @soothfast said
    I think I already said this, but general relativity and special relativity are different theories. If there is some mathematical "equivalence principle" in which one could characterize all general relativistic time dilation as being caused by gravity and vice-versa (and I believe there is such an equivalence), it would not apply to special relativistic time d ...[text shortened]... l be drastically different ages, and neither mass nor gravity would have had anything to do with it.
    The only one who brought up special relativity is you and I don't know why. GR is about gravity, not SR. Matter causes time dilation. Time dilation from mass is gravity.
    The time difference is what causes matter to attract. The more the time difference the greater the attraction.

As Brain Greene put it, things do not like to age. Objects move to where time passes slower. That time difference is what causes the force of gravity and please do not say gravity is not a force or I will tell you to jump off your roof.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Aug '22 01:211 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    You are so full of SHYTE your NOSE must smell bad.
    Matter JUST SITTING THERE makes time flow to go slower, there does not have to be a second mass to make that happen.

MASS is what causes BOTH gravity and time 'dilation'. But Time dilation also happens with VELOCITY having NOTHING to do with mass, ANY mass going close to c will have the flow of time slow down JUST LIKE being stuff of greater mass sitting still.

Don't know what it takes to make you understand that but you are stuck on Greene so whatever he says is your new religion. You WORSHIP Greene.

He brought up SR because there is this SLIGHT possibility you need to study it as well.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '22 23:50
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You are so full of SHYTE your NOSE must smell bad.
    Matter JUST SITTING THERE makes time flow to go slower, there does not have to be a second mass to make that happen.

MASS is what causes BOTH gravity and time 'dilation'. But Time dilation also happens with VELOCITY having NOTHING to do with mass, ANY mass going close to c will have the flow of time slow do ...[text shortened]... P Greene.

He brought up SR because there is this SLIGHT possibility you need to study it as well.
    You are projecting again. Your religion has you rejecting prominent physicist Brian Green. You are so unreasonably dogmatic that if I could show a video of Einstein himself saying time dilation is gravity you would say he was full of it too.

Heck, I don't even know what you are talking about even you say a second mass. What does that have to do with anything? So you have another coincidence theory. Matter makes time go slower which we both agree on, yet you think it is just a coincidence that gravity and time dilation coincide.

Why do you insist Brian Greene is wrong? What do you have against him? Are you claiming he is a fraud spreading science misinformation? Have you ever considered the possibility you are spreading science misinformation?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=time+dilation+causes+gravity

Are all of these videos science misinformation? Space cannot bend without time dilation. Once again, why is the equivalence principal always explained in every film about GR? It is not a literal equivalence. We both know that. It is merely a thought experiment. If time dilation does not cause gravity why is the equivalence principal relevant?

Either the equivalence principal is a thought experiment that inspired Einstein to realize time dilation causes gravity or the equivalence principal is a completely irrelevant waste of time that people are hung up on. You apparently think it is the latter. Write PBS' Nova and tell them to stop wasting time with an irrelevant equivalence principal taking up time in their program. People are taking it too literally anyway. They think it is a true equivalence. We both know it is not.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 03:45
    @Metal-Brain
    It's funny how you say 'time dilation' CAUSES gravity but then say MASS causes 'time dilation'. Clearly you don't understand the difference.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '22 17:28
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    It's funny how you say 'time dilation' CAUSES gravity but then say MASS causes 'time dilation'. Clearly you don't understand the difference.
    Time dilation is gravity. There is no difference.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    01 Sep '22 17:54
    @metal-brain said
    The only one who brought up special relativity is you and I don't know why. GR is about gravity, not SR. Matter causes time dilation. Time dilation from mass is gravity.
    The time difference is what causes matter to attract. The more the time difference the greater the attraction.

As Brain Greene put it, things do not like to age. Objects move to where time passes sl ...[text shortened]... ce of gravity and please do not say gravity is not a force or I will tell you to jump off your roof.
    I bring up special relativity because you're insisting there is a one-to-one correspondence between time dilation and gravity that does not exist. If time dilation occurs at relativistic speeds, which it does, then "time dilation is gravity" is a false statement.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '22 19:37
    @soothfast said
    I bring up special relativity because you're insisting there is a one-to-one correspondence between time dilation and gravity that does not exist. If time dilation occurs at relativistic speeds, which it does, then "time dilation is gravity" is a false statement.
    Hogwash!

Einstein's General Relativity equation has a "T" for time in it.
    You just claimed General Relativity does not exist. Now you have a problem with Einstein and his GR equation.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 14:21
    @Metal-Brain
    TD can happen without gravity, with velocity of some mass ONLY.
    That throws a monkey wrench into your gravity and TD are the same.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 21:09
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    TD can happen without gravity, with velocity of some mass ONLY.
    That throws a monkey wrench into your gravity and TD are the same.
    No, it does not.
    You know about the equivalence principal. Stop lying.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Sep '22 06:41
    @Metal-Brain
    Tell that to the particles with known lifetimes measured in microseconds but last long enough for bits of them to be counted on the ground because they are going so close to the speed of light but have mass so say 99,99999X c, they last long enough to be counted on Earth.

But since you only had a 5th grade education you would never have encountered THAT one. Which I learned in the 9th grade.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '22 07:02
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Tell that to the particles with known lifetimes measured in microseconds but last long enough for bits of them to be counted on the ground because they are going so close to the speed of light but have mass so say 99,99999X c, they last long enough to be counted on Earth.

But since you only had a 5th grade education you would never have encountered THAT one. Which I learned in the 9th grade.
    What does that have to do with a black hole evaporating?
    There is no evidence black holes evaporate. Mass cannot leave a black hole.

Can you prove radiation escapes black holes? Yes or no?
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Sep '22 15:521 edit
    @metal-brain said
    Einstein's General Relativity equation has a "T" for time in it.
    That's as sane an argument as noting that it has a 'c' for Constant in it, and concluding that therefore, the universe cannot change.

You really are a poster child for not letting mental toddlers paddle in the Pierian spring.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '22 07:22
    @shallow-blue said
    That's as sane an argument as noting that it has a 'c' for Constant in it, and concluding that therefore, the universe cannot change.

You really are a poster child for not letting mental toddlers paddle in the Pierian spring.
    If time dilation does not cause gravity why have time in the equation at all?
    What would be the point of that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree