1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 May '22 21:21
    https://phys.org/news/2022-05-laser-breakthrough-gravitational.html

So LIGO and others will be much more sensitive but as they stand now, the frequency of the waves will still be the same so LIGO and the rest won't be able to see the longer or shorter gravitational waves just yet.
    I wonder if these new techniques will enable HS students or undergrads to build their own desktop gravity wave detectors?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    31 May '22 06:26
    @sonhouse said
    https://phys.org/news/2022-05-laser-breakthrough-gravitational.html

So LIGO and others will be much more sensitive but as they stand now, the frequency of the waves will still be the same so LIGO and the rest won't be able to see the longer or shorter gravitational waves just yet.
    I wonder if these new techniques will enable HS students or undergrads to build their own desktop gravity wave detectors?
    Given the speed of development in Laser technology: maybe. However placing a device in a way that it can perform its task will be a challenge. In big cities it will probably be impossible.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '22 16:531 edit
    @Ponderable
    Why? Because big cities have too much vibration? The pretty much solved that problem for LIGO. A thousand times the sensitivity would go a long way if it can be miniaturized.
    There still needs to be fundamental work done to capture gravitational waves at other frequencies of scientific import which will be the only way we can delve closer and closer to the big bang, gravity waves are the only thing that can see that time period.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree