1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Dec '19 17:34
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2228046-tiny-graphene-sheets-can-start-or-stop-ice-crystals-growing-in-water/

They talk about apps stopping ice say on airplane wings and such but I wonder if they can also figure out how to use this tech to freeze people without making ice crystals, maybe make real suspended animation.
  2. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    20 Dec '19 22:07
    @sonhouse said
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2228046-tiny-graphene-sheets-can-start-or-stop-ice-crystals-growing-in-water/

They talk about apps stopping ice say on airplane wings and such but I wonder if they can also figure out how to use this tech to freeze people without making ice crystals, maybe make real suspended animation.
    Let's say you find a way to perfectly freeze a person; how long will their thoughts and memories remain intact? A week? A year? 50 years?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '19 15:01
    @bunnyknight
    Since thoughts and memories are just patterns of neurons and flows and such it would be like turning off a computer with non volatile memory, turn it back on and they don't even feel the change in time, if it was a thousand years, wouldn't matter, they wake up and the flow they had in their brains starts up again.
    At least that is my take on it.
  4. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    21 Dec '19 16:25
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    Since thoughts and memories are just patterns of neurons and flows and such it would be like turning off a computer with non volatile memory, turn it back on and they don't even feel the change in time, if it was a thousand years, wouldn't matter, they wake up and the flow they had in their brains starts up again.
    At least that is my take on it.
    That certainly would be good news, but reality may not be so rosy. There could be a whole slew or factors and variables that affect long term thought retention.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '19 13:55
    @bunnyknight
    Of course but we are getting the hearse before the cart😉
    First we need to show we can stop ice crystals growing in human cells which with that technology would mean an infusion of that stuff into our cells first starting with maybe rat cells in a dish or some such and see if those cell can even survive with them in place. It could be those molecules kill the cells outright.
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    22 Dec '19 15:42
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    Of course but we are getting the hearse before the cart😉
    First we need to show we can stop ice crystals growing in human cells which with that technology would mean an infusion of that stuff into our cells first starting with maybe rat cells in a dish or some such and see if those cell can even survive with them in place. It could be those molecules kill the cells outright.
    On the other hand, if we figure out how to download memories and thoughts to a non-organic "brain", it could change history forever.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Dec '19 16:46
    @bunnyknight
    Yes, but don't hold your breath for that one. Maybe in the 22nd century....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree