1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 19:22
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    One slip and you are history, kind of like dropping a hot bottle of nitroglycerin🙂
    Except a bigger boom. MUCH bigger🙂
    It's funny, there is work going on to make a fusion rocket for space travel but the engineering is actually further along with the idea of anti-matter for propulsion, you get a lot more bang for the buck so to speak🙂
    The thing about anti- ...[text shortened]... all star there.
    Oh well, come back in a couple hundred years and maybe we will have all that......
    Generating energy is only half the story. The place where it is generated is almost never the place where it is consumed. So I wonder how to get the energy from a space-based chicken-wire generator down to Earth.

By comparison, I was all in favour of electric cars, until I read this article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49567197

Electric cars are cleaner than infernal combustion engine cars only if you look at what comes out the back of the car while it's driving. If you look at where the energy comes from and how it is transported to the car and what is recyclable of the car after its service life has expired, electric cars are dirtier.

Say, whatever happened to the Stanley Steamer ----- ?
  2. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 19:59
    @moonbus said
    Generating energy is only half the story. The place where it is generated is almost never the place where it is consumed. So I wonder how to get the energy from a space-based chicken-wire generator down to Earth.

By comparison, I was all in favour of electric cars, until I read this article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49567197

Electric cars are clea ...[text shortened]... ife has expired, electric cars are dirtier.

Say, whatever happened to the Stanley Steamer ----- ?
    Those dadgum infernal combustion engine cars give me the willies.

Naw, just kidding. I'm not THAT old.
  3. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 20:11
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    One slip and you are history, kind of like dropping a hot bottle of nitroglycerin🙂
    Except a bigger boom. MUCH bigger🙂
    It's funny, there is work going on to make a fusion rocket for space travel but the engineering is actually further along with the idea of anti-matter for propulsion, you get a lot more bang for the buck so to speak🙂
    The thing about anti- ...[text shortened]... all star there.
    Oh well, come back in a couple hundred years and maybe we will have all that......
    That's not a bad idea, and it serves a dual purpose.
    Pulls anti-matter in, and keeps chickens out.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 21:11
    @Kilroy70
    Yeah, you don't want trouble with those nasty space chickens🙂
    Besides, the chicken wire would be charged up with 100 million volts so it would be FRIED chicken, eh🙂
  5. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    09 Jun '22 04:38
    @sonhouse
    The ultimate solution to acquiring anti-matter would be to find some catalyst which instantly converts matter into anti-matter.

Of course that would open up a whole new can of worms, and might be the reason why hi-tech civilizations go extinct.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    10 Jun '22 18:54
    @bunnyknight said
    @sonhouse
    The ultimate solution to acquiring anti-matter would be to find some catalyst which instantly converts matter into anti-matter.

Of course that would open up a whole new can of worms, and might be the reason why hi-tech civilizations go extinct.
    The Feynman–Stueckelberg interpretation of antimatter characterizes antiparticles as being particles that are traveling backwards in time. Something to ponder, I suppose.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jun '22 19:37
    @Soothfast
    Seems like if that were true, you capture one, wouldn't it disappear? You have it now but it disappears and reappears yesterday?
  8. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    hicksville
    Moves
    10 Jun '22 20:29
    @sonhouse said
    @Soothfast
    Seems like if that were true, you capture one, wouldn't it disappear? You have it now but it disappears and reappears yesterday?
    Maybe you could put up your net and capture the ones coming at you from tomorrow?

Nope, never mind. That doesn't work.
    Tomorrow is where they're all coming from, and whizzing passed today on their way to yesterday. So how can we be sure they actually exist if they are all flying by in the opposite timeline direction? It seems they should be able to completely escape detection.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Jun '22 22:10
    @sonhouse said
    @Soothfast
    With this interpretation, an antiparticle "created" in an accelerator today was actually created in the future and is in fact destroyed today. I think that's all there is to it.

One could say this is why a collision between a particle and antiparticle releases so much energy. They are colliding not only in space, but also in time from diametrically opposite directions.

So, in a way, an antimatter bomb could be thought of as something like a "time bomb." To create one, perhaps you'd need to coordinate with your future self. Your present self would supply the matter, and your future self the antimatter. Let them collide at some intermediate point in time...
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jun '22 15:24
    @Soothfast
    It wouldn't be that complicated to see one, we already know how to make very tiny amounts of anti-matter in particle accelerators so now it is down to engineering to figure out how to store the same in magnetic traps to be much more useful in space propulsion than bombs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree