1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jun '22 13:48
    @Soothfast
    Did you know there are Hubble size scopes, 6 of them at least, that DON'T look up?
    That is why they can read a license plate on a car in the Sahara desert.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Jun '22 18:53
    @sonhouse said
    @Soothfast
    Did you know there are Hubble size scopes, 6 of them at least, that DON'T look up?
    That is why they can read a license plate on a car in the Sahara desert.
    I'm sure Metal knows that.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jun '22 21:50
    @sonhouse
    Wonder why I got a thumb down, it is just a fact, not a political statement.
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    01 Jul '22 16:511 edit
    Ten new discoveries confirmed. Total of confirmed exoplanets is now 5054, with 8793 NASA candidates yet to be confirmed.

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jul '22 20:24
    @Liljo
    The faster supercomps get the more they will be able to analyze fainter signals and I expect the number of detects to go over 20,000 in the next ten years.
    And soon, Webb will be fully functional....
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 01:30
    @sonhouse said
    @Liljo
    The faster supercomps get the more they will be able to analyze fainter signals and I expect the number of detects to go over 20,000 in the next ten years.
    And soon, Webb will be fully functional....
    Yes. And Webb is going to be a game changer. It will even be able to examine potential atmospheres of exoplanets at the molecular level, as I’m sure you are quite aware. I’m just in awe thinking about it.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jul '22 16:02
    @Liljo
    Already what they have found out about these exoplanets is one in four may be ocean worlds, it looks like water is abundant in the universe and that is a good sign for the search for extraterrestrial life. So maybe even counting just what we know now, that would imply 1000 ocean worlds. Granted, some of them might be subsurface oceans like on Europa but even here in our solar system there are several already known ocean worlds, just deep underground.
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    15 Jul '22 13:01
    Some newer articles I found of interest:

https://www.space.com/earth-like-planets-cosmic-graveyards-pulsars

https://www.space.com/gaia-star-spacecraft-discovers-alien-planets
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    15 Jul '22 15:30
    We are now up to 5060 confirmed planets after Gaia's discovery.

NASA had another 8819 unconfirmed candidates.

The known exoplanets exist in a confirmed 3793 planetary systems.
  10. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    15 Jul '22 17:02
    @liljo said
    We are now up to 5060 confirmed planets after Gaia's discovery.

NASA had another 8819 unconfirmed candidates.

The known exoplanets exist in a confirmed 3793 planetary systems.
    The thing is that astronomers won't get us to all those neat planets; we need a new set of science geniuses and engineers to get us there -- and I don't care what it takes or how it's done, but we need to get there! This Earth is falling apart at the seams with too many psychotic deranged leaders plunging us all towards starvation and annihilation. And if we don't get there, don't bother having grandchildren because they're already doomed.
  11. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    18 Jul '22 20:02
    https://www.inverse.com/science/webb-telescope-this-hellish-planet-could-be-a-rosetta-stone-for-finding-alien-life
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jul '22 00:24
    @Liljo
    Sounds like a Venus type planet. No life there but the chemical makeup can tell a lot about other planets.
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 14:49
    Three new confirmed exoplanets brings the total to 5063. There are an additional 8819 NASA candidates still awaiting confirmation. A total of 3794 solar systems have been confirmed so far.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 18:27
    @Liljo
    You would think ONE of those would be Earthlike. Or it could mean Earthlike planets with benign oceans and such are one in a million, but even at that, there should be dozens Earthlike planets in our galaxy alone.
  15. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 18:391 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Liljo
    You would think ONE of those would be Earthlike. Or it could mean Earthlike planets with benign oceans and such are one in a million, but even at that, there should be dozens Earthlike planets in our galaxy alone.
    Yes, I have read some very respected scientists who believe there could be as many as 10,000 planets just within the Milky Way that could support INTELLIGENT life! And many more that could support microbial life forms.

The best analogy of how large just the Milky Way galaxy is was put this way:
    Take a basketball. Place it on the ground in the United States. If the Milky Way could be scaled down in size to that of the United States, that basketball would represent the entire Solar System in which the Earth resides.

And to think...there are billions, even trillions of other galaxies, some which are much larger than the Milky Way. Our home galaxy is 100,000 light years across...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree