1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 07:33
    @humy said
    No. I read them all. Did you look an any of them?
    Do you dispute any of those scientific findings?
    I have studied science for most of my life and now read about one science weblinks per day and am always learning something new in science. Have you got a problem with that?
    I am currently doing research in AI, just in case you are interested.
    Yes, I'll get back to you on them, as I had to wonder why you choose the ones I looked at.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 07:34
    @humy said
    No. I read them all. Did you look an any of them?
    Do you dispute any of those scientific findings?
    I have studied science for most of my life and now read about one science weblinks per day and am always learning something new in science. Have you got a problem with that?
    I am currently doing research in AI, just in case you are interested.
    Why would I have a problem with that, or better asked, why would you think I'd have a problem with that?
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 08:36
    @kellyjay said
    why would you think I'd have a problem with that?
    I study and accept the scientific evidence and/or facts that inadvertently just happens to contradict your religious beliefs rather than dismiss it all in favor of your religious beliefs.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 09:051 edit
    @humy said
    I study and accept the scientific evidence and/or facts that inadvertently just happens to contradict your religious beliefs rather than dismiss it all in favor of your religious beliefs.
    Well we may have a difference of opinion on facts and what the evidence means.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 10:51
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I was guessing. If "very superior" starts at 120 then it's more plausible.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 11:48
    @kellyjay said
    Well we may have a difference of opinion on facts and what the evidence means.
    That may very well be the understatement of the week. 😀
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jun '19 12:12
    @proper-knob said
    That may very well be the understatement of the week. 😀
    LOL I agree!
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 23:43
    @kellyjay said
    Cultural values can account for many, where one group always feels put upon and another feels the need to strive for goals. If our minds are feed something all of our lives we can become a product of our culture not our abilities being acted upon.
    This could also work in the reverse: the average intelligence of a group accounts for its cultural values.

A group of smart people will create a culture that is smart; and a group of dim people will create and foster around them a culture that is dim.

We can always reverse cause & effect in things so tightly intertwined.

For instance, maybe smart mothers nurture their kids well, and dumb mothers poorly nurture their kids.

Indeed, that would make sense. And if intelligence is an inherited trait, it would correlate just as much as good nurturing causing higher levels of intelligence.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 23:51
    If the fact that they live at high altitudes is a decisive factor, how come ethnic Incans and Tibetans are not renowned runners, along with dozens of other groups..?

How come kids in Colorado are not renowned distance runners?

The factors are most likely genetic.

It’s worth noting, however, that credible voices in both the world of sport and the world of science have cited that the build of East African runners (influenced by things such as nutrition) might well play a part in the huge success Kenya and Ethiopia have enjoyed in the Olympic long-distance running events over the years.

Ben Oakley for example, a Senior Lecturer at the Open University in Sport and Fitness, has discussed how East African runner’s lightweight bodies could be a significant factor in their triumphs at the upper echelons of competitive running. Oakley has also stated that having a small and lightweight frame is ideal when competing in high temperatures because it’s easier for the body to dissipate heat. When you factor in the high heats often seen at summer Olympics, joining the dots isn’t exactly too much of a stretch.

Researchers have also studied the lower energy use of East African runners compared with Caucasian runners. Their research, around the term “running economy”, reveals that because East African runners often carry a few less grams on their feet and ankles they need less energy to maintain a quick pace and therefore have a better chance of Olympic glory.

https://mpora.com/running/why-are-kenya-and-ethiopia-so-good-at-running

Why do athletes from this one region of the world tend to have such extraordinary success in one sport? It’s often suggested that it must be down to genetic factors. This would seem a logical assumption, based on the number of Olympic medals won by athletes from a relatively localised geographical area with relatively limited resources to spend on training.

As a result, it’s not surprising that a number of scientific studies over the past 15 years have attempted to answer this question. There is some evidence that the typical body type of East African distance runners – with long, slender legs – may contribute to an increased efficiency in these athletes, particularly at race pace. Yet the overall findings of these research studies have not identified genetic traits that could conclusively explain the success of East African distance runners.

As elite sports performance is a complicated phenomenon, it is unlikely that athletic success will be the result of a single genetic factor. But it is possible that the success of these athletes could be down to a combination of interacting genes, which the latest genetic research is trying to discover.

https://theconversation.com/can-genetics-explain-the-success-of-east-african-distance-runners-62586
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 03:481 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 06:31
    So there are different genetic adaptions among people -- thus, there is a genetic reason why other peoples from high altitude environments are not gifted runners, and then, in the final paragraph, "the fact remains" that Duchess will persist in some non-committal reference to the environment.

You aren't even making an argument.

You are making these weak-kneed observations.

No real substance, as per usual, from Duchess.
  12. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 15:03
    @philokalia said
    How come kids in Colorado are not renowned distance runners?
    Because they are lazy Americans?

It is well established that training at altitude improves aerobic capacity. Also there are known genetic components.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 19:512 edits

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 19:53

15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 19:54
    You misspelled overwhining😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree