1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 06:243 edits
    https://phys.org/news/2020-07-diamonds-hidden-currents-graphene.html

incremental improvements in the methods for detecting what is going on inside materials on the nano-scale (or even smaller) like the one described in the link above is bound to eventually lead to faster breakthroughs in understanding which would lead to, among other things in this case, better molecular designs for conductors and superconductors.
  2. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 12:24
    👍 Good post, not even halfway through the link.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 13:16
    @humy
    So the first technique sounds like a variation of atomic force microscopes with a moving tip sliding past the conductor.
    It will be interesting to see what other folks do with this technology.

Being able to image the flow will lead to designs of graphene and other material useful for technological applications unknown before this work.
    Fundamental work in the observation of electron flow in Graphene.
  4. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    06 Aug '20 03:05
    @sonhouse
    Maybe that crazy, nutty scientist that described a carbon micro-circuit to me 30 years ago wasn't a crazy nut after all.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 20:22
    @bunnyknight
    Who was that pray tell?
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 23:14
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    Who was that pray tell?
    A science researcher I once met helped dig this carbon chip out of some woman who claimed to have been abducted.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '20 21:37
    @bunnyknight
    Carbon chip? So was it analyzed by scientists say with electron microscopes to see if there was actual circuitry on it? My guess is one of the persons involved with that story just looked at it under a microscope and just CONCLUDED it had to have come from aliens, neglecting to ask WHY aliens would want to do that in the first place, like if it is actual circuitry, was there some kind of RF transmitter as part of it so there would be say a GPS kind of thing going on so they could track her in the wild?
    The whole thing sounds preposterous to me on the face of it.
    I could do a pretty good job of sussing out whether it was alien tech or not.
  8. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    11 Aug '20 02:07
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    Carbon chip? So was it analyzed by scientists say with electron microscopes to see if there was actual circuitry on it? My guess is one of the persons involved with that story just looked at it under a microscope and just CONCLUDED it had to have come from aliens, neglecting to ask WHY aliens would want to do that in the first place, like if it is actual circui ...[text shortened]... me on the face of it.
    I could do a pretty good job of sussing out whether it was alien tech or not.
    I'm not sure anybody concluded anything. Perhaps it's still a mystery and will remain a mystery forever.
    As for analyzing it, at that time all they found was a carbon chip with unnatural microscopic patterns, and they were puzzled. Today perhaps someone figured it out and it's sitting in some secret lab -- who the heck knows? I certainly don't. There are lot's of mysteries out there and I don't get angry over them.
    Also, imagine if someone dropped an AMD Epyc cpu on your desk 40 or 50 years ago -- would you be able to figure it out; locate inputs and outputs; how to power it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree