1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Apr '20 00:042 edits
    Looking to have a rational discussion on devising a simple/effective ranking for how well certain countries are doing. I keep hearing certain people shouting how terrible the USA is responding to this.

Here is what I propose as a simple scoring system. Improvements are welcome.

all data comes from
    https://www.worldometers.info

I first sorted the data by Total Deaths/Million

I got the top 33 Countries based on that rate.

I looked at all the countries graphs ( for which data was available) and used first reported case.

From there I further filtered by countries which had a first reported case between Feb - 15th and Feb -19th.

Now the countries in question should be on similar timelines.

Next, I added population density data to the table.

Next I propose a simple ranking system determined by the Product

Score = Total Deaths/Million * 1/Population Density

With a large population density we would inherently expect more infections, so it should be a score decreasing factor. And A high Total Deaths per million should be a score increasing factor. So when I take the product, and sort smallest ( Best Response ) to Largest ( Worst Response ) I get the following ranking by country.

Country...……Tot Deaths/10^6.....Pop Density....Score
    Germany ..............15..............................240.........…….0.063
    UK .........…...........53...………………...…..281...……….0.189
    Belgium ..............99...………………...…..383..............0.258
    USA ............……......21.........……............….36...………..0.583
    Iran ........................39...…………….........….52......….....0.750
    France...............…..100............…..............119..............0.840
    Italy ..................…...243........................…..206.........….1.180
    Sweden...............….35...……………….........25...............1.400
    Spain............…...….240.........…......…...…...94......…...…2.553

I'm doing this because I think it is paramount to be as quantitative as possible during the highly charged times, as opposed to shouting people down with mere opinion.

So as I said, I welcome thoughtful critiques, improvements, ect...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree