1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Aug '21 21:34
    https://physicsworld.com/a/sprinkling-basalt-over-soil-could-remove-huge-amounts-of-carbon-dioxide-from-the-atmosphere/[WORD TOO LONG]

Sorry for the long link, but this study shows a way to lower CO2 in the atmosphere.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Aug '21 09:48
    @sonhouse said
    https://physicsworld.com/a/sprinkling-basalt-over-soil-could-remove-huge-amounts-of-carbon-dioxide-from-the-atmosphere/[WORD TOO LONG]

Sorry for the long link, but this study shows a way to lower CO2 in the atmosphere.
    Can't get the whole link.

How does it do this? And what are the by-products?

I'd like to see the formula for the removal of CO2 with basalt. The link probably has it, but it didn't take the link in your post.
  3. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    07 Aug '21 11:25
    What do you guys feel would be the levels to take CO2 down to ?
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Aug '21 12:54
    @suzianne said
    Can't get the whole link.

How does it do this? And what are the by-products?

I'd like to see the formula for the removal of CO2 with basalt. The link probably has it, but it didn't take the link in your post.
    You can research the article at the site "physicsworld".

The idea is to take the basic Basalt, which removes CO2 by reaction with the basic components (formal "Na2O, K2O"😉. You can bind as much Co2 as you ahve abse available. It would be a one shot measure. If we want to reduce Co2 we need to become at least carbone neutral, better carbon negative. But that would mean to dial back in Energy use, something not popular...
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Aug '21 16:57
    @Ponderable
    Maybe not so much as energy use as energy providers, instead of coal, burn natural gas or go total nuclear, and there is ITER coming online sometime in mid century so there is that. Wind, solar, wave power obviously will help stop the emission of carbon into the atmosphere.
  6. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    11 Aug '21 21:37
    @Ponderable

I cant get access to the page with the info provided sorry. The address given is "unavailable" to me.

Would you be kind enough to tell me what level of CO2 is it that you propose that we you reduce down to please?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Aug '21 00:54
    @medullah
    We would love to see the number go down by 50% or so. Of course that will not happen any time soon but that would be a good goal.
  8. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    12 Aug '21 16:48
    A commercial grower will boost the CO2 to 1000 ppm in a greenhouse because of the yield that it produces.

The current levels of CO2 are 412ppm

https://www.co2.earth/daily-co2#:~:text=413.04%20ppm&text=This%20table%20presents%20the%20most,atmospheric%20CO2%20on%20the%20planet.

Will life on earth be sustainable at 200ppm ?
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Aug '21 16:55
    @sonhouse said
    @Ponderable
    Maybe not so much as energy use as energy providers, instead of coal, burn natural gas or go total nuclear, and there is ITER coming online sometime in mid century so there is that. Wind, solar, wave power obviously will help stop the emission of carbon into the atmosphere.
    In fact the current scenario says that if we ant to hit the 1.5°C by 2100 be should be carbon negative by 2045... The faster we begin to reduce our "needs" the less sharp the breaking need to be.
    I did a course on "history of nuclear energy" when studying chemistry and I remember the prof telling us: Fusion is always twenty years away. That was around 1990...when they proposed a first working Fusion power station by 2010 (far in the future). At the time being ITER should go into Operation by 2035, but who beleives that really?
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Aug '21 17:24
    @medullah said
    A commercial grower will boost the CO2 to 1000 ppm in a greenhouse because of the yield that it produces.

The current levels of CO2 are 412ppm

https://www.co2.earth/daily-co2#:~:text=413.04%20ppm&text=This%20table%20presents%20the%20most,atmospheric%20CO2%20on%20the%20planet.

Will life on earth be sustainable at 200ppm ?
    Life is sustainable at 200 ppm. 280 was a long time value in Medivial times.

The CO2 boosting works fine if the other ingredients are there which can be done in a greenhouse. In fact normally some other component is missing (thus fertilizing, which would be useless if plants suffered from CO2 shortage.

The Basalt idea is more or less useless in my opinion:

The amount of base in Basalt is around 7.5 M-%. So you have around 2 mol base, and can absorbe about 1 mol or 44g Co2/kg Basalt.
    If we assume 3000 gt Co2 in the atmosphere and want to reduce by a quarter we neet to absorb 750 Gt. If we do it via the basalt method we need about 19000Gt basalt. and we need to grind that very fine....
  11. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    12 Aug '21 21:30
    I think that you may be right. From what i have read you might get away with 150 ppm.

So my question would be what would you envisage the population to be if we get it down to 200ppm. Could 200 sustain the current populace or would we need to sacrifice population for reduced crop yields?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Aug '21 23:08
    @Ponderable
    I kind of figured it would come out like that. Can you imagine the size of that project? Make Manhattan project look like a 12 yo science project.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree