1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 06:37
    Allan Savory
    YouTube

The talk is about halting desertification through managed livestock grazing and enabling the soil to lock-up carbon from atmosphere.

Controversial but surely deserves some more work?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 08:44
    @wolfgang59 said
    Allan Savory
    [youtube]vpTHi7O66pI[/youtube]

The talk is about halting desertification through managed livestock grazing and enabling the soil to lock-up carbon from atmosphere.

Controversial but surely deserves some more work?
    The only way to stop the climate change is to ban all fossil fuel use. Oil, coal, methane. Note : this is the only way!

It has to do with the carbon cycle. By injecting new carbon in the atmosphere from outside the cycle you enrich atmosphere with carbon dioxide. And there is no other efficient way to get this carbon from atmosphere. Nature does it by solve it in the sea, but this take time.

Let's hope for the future human civilization that this will work.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 08:50
    @fabianfnas said
    The only way to stop the climate change is to ban all fossil fuel use. Oil, coal, methane. Note : this is the only way!

It has to do with the carbon cycle. By injecting new carbon in the atmosphere from outside the cycle you enrich atmosphere with carbon dioxide. And there is no other efficient way to get this carbon from atmosphere. Nature does it by solve it in the sea, but this take time.

A mixed solution of reducing the addition of carbon
    to the atmosphere PLUS absorbing (and locking up)
    carbon from the atmosphere is surely worth considering.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 17:04
    @fabianfnas said

Climate change cannot be stopped. It is impossible.
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 17:12
    @metal-brain said
    Climate change cannot be stopped. It is impossible.
    Sounds like MB may believe that, today's naysaying and avoidance will endear themselves to future generations.

Good solid posting wolfie.
    Solution seeking is good.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 19:16
    @fabianfnas said

It seems to me eliminating fossil fuel use would run into extreme political action against that process, as good an idea as it seems. The other problem is how to replace all that fossil fuel use, massive investment in solar? Wind? Wave? My guess is the worse offenders will have the most political push against that. I don't see trillion dollar programs to do that and from what I have read, for instance in the US, if we went solar it would take at least 1 trillion dollars just for the infrastructure AFTER making the massive solar cell construction because of the fact the high voltage power transmission lines kind of go around the perifery of the US, not totally but the estimate is in fact a trillion dollars to get high voltage lines to the desert sites where the massive solar cells have to be located.

There also has to be massive battery or other kind of large scale energy storage simply because solar is only good for about 1/3 of each day so the size of the plant would have to be about 3 times bigger than what would be generated to cover say a city since that city would have to live on battery or other energy storage technology, whatever that is.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 20:37
    @sonhouse said
    It seems to me eliminating fossil fuel use would run into extreme political action against that process, as good an idea as it seems. The other problem is how to replace all that fossil fuel use, massive investment in solar? Wind? Wave?
    About 20% of the world's energy comes from renewable sources.
    In Europe most, if not all, countries are producing at least 25% (and growing)
    of their energy requirements from renewables.

It is possible. It is happening world-wide.

The US is dragging its heels.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 08:32
    @wolfe63 said
    Sounds like MB may believe that, today's naysaying and avoidance will endear themselves to future generations.

Good solid posting wolfie.
    Solution seeking is good.
    It is impossible. Any competent climate scientist would tell you that. They know this warming trend started before the invention of the automobile. You cannot reverse natural causes and natural causes are unquestionably a factor. This warming trend started from natural causes.

Only the ignorant would claim it is possible. Informed people know better.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 08:33
    @wolfgang59 said
    About 20% of the world's energy comes from renewable sources.
    In Europe most, if not all, countries are producing at least 25% (and growing)
    of their energy requirements from renewables.

It is possible. It is happening world-wide.

The US is dragging its heels.
    Nope. It is impossible.
    See my last post before this one.
  10. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 10:16
    @metal-brain said
    Nope. It is impossible.
    See my last post before this one.
    Ice core samples, collected by scientists, contradict your rhetoric.
    The evidence shows that the particular gasses associated with global warming have never been higher.

But, I expect you'll continue towing the party-line on this issue: Just as long as corporate polluters maintain their "cash cow" status with Rush Limbaugh and FOX News.

How depressing.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 10:35
    @sonhouse said
    It seems to me eliminating fossil fuel use would run into extreme political action against that process,
    Then we are doomed.
    Not only the human civilization. Not only humanity. But Nature itself is doomed.
    When the greenhouse effect is non-reversable, we all realized: We, as a specie, are nothing but a failure.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 15:48
    @wolfe63 said
    Ice core samples, collected by scientists, contradict your rhetoric.
    The evidence shows that the particular gasses associated with global warming have never been higher.

But, I expect you'll continue towing the party-line on this issue: Just as long as corporate polluters maintain their "cash cow" status with Rush Limbaugh and FOX News.

How depressing.
    No, the Ice core samples collected by scientists do not contradict me at all. You are stating a falsehood.

http://www.hirhome.com/climate_change/global_warming03.htm
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 19:19
    @metal-brain said
    No, the Ice core samples collected by scientists do not contradict me at all. You are stating a falsehood.

http://www.hirhome.com/climate_change/global_warming03.htm
    hirhome?!

Is that whodey's recommendation?

If they said the sky was blue I'd have to go out and check.

READ SOME SCIENCE
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 19:33
    @wolfgang59 said
    hirhome?!

Is that whodey's recommendation?

If they said the sky was blue I'd have to go out and check.

READ SOME SCIENCE
    This is science!

http://cdiac.ess-dive.lbl.gov/trends/co2/vostok.html
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Nov '18 13:57
    @metal-brain said
    This is science!

http://cdiac.ess-dive.lbl.gov/trends/co2/vostok.html
    It clearly shows CO2 levels higher than they have been in 500,000 years. You should have picked a more biased opinion piece to try to prove your POV.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree