1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Dec '20 21:483 edits
    what I mean by that question is that can we ever create some technology in the future that will enable us to convert pure energy, in the form of electromagnetic radiation with no mass, into a proton and an electron both of which have mass?
    I obviously know we can already convert energy into mass because, for example, we can use energy to split an iron atom into two to create two atoms with masses collectively slightly higher than that of the iron atom even though they collectively have the same number of nucleons at the iron atom, so that's not what I am asking.
    What I am asking is, will there ever be a practical technological way for us to make a new nucleon plus a new electron from pure energy and without merely converting one nucleon into another like normally happens in nuclear physics?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Dec '20 10:551 edit
    @humy said
    what I mean by that question is that can we ever create some technology in the future that will enable us to convert pure energy, in the form of electromagnetic radiation with no mass, into a proton and an electron both of which have mass?
    I obviously know we can already convert energy into mass because, for example, we can use energy to split an iron atom into two to create tw ...[text shortened]... rgy and without merely converting one nucleon into another like normally happens in nuclear physics?
    I think this is if possible at all very far away. But I do hope that we get the nuclear fusion right at some point in my Lifetime...
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 08:191 edit
    @humy said
    I obviously know we can already convert energy into mass because, for example, we can use energy to split an iron atom into two to create tw ...[text shortened]... rgy and without merely converting one nucleon into another like normally happens in nuclear physics?
    No, the quantum numbers need to add up to zero and an electron has lepton number and the three constituent quarks have baryon number, the photon has neither. Making an electron and a positron in the way you describe is easy.

Clearly, what I said in the previous paragraph assumes the Standard Model. In the context of a Grand Unified Theory we might expect the electron and the three quarks to form a quadruplet under an SU(4) subgroup and so if you can create a photon with energy in excess of the GUT reunification scale the cross section might become more than vanishingly small. That's of the order of 10 trillion TeV, so a trillion times more energy than at LHC. I doubt it's feasible.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 10:471 edit
    @deepthought said
    Making an electron and a positron in the way you describe
    Arr, yes, I forgot about that matter-antimatter symmetry. What I had in mind then would probably have little use for the purpose I had in mind even if it worked because, for the purposes I had in mind, I don't want to create antimatter in the process.
  5. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 23:56
    it's just other dimensions bumping into ours....thats why in a vacuum matter can briefly appear.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 04:21
    @DeepThought Well there at least is an experiment going on:

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-underway.html#:~:text=The%20theory%20of%20the%20Breit-Wheeler%20process%20says%20it,have%20required%20the%20addition%20of%20other%20high-energy%20particles.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 09:24
    @sonhouse said

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-underway.html#:~:text=The%20theory%20of%20the%20Breit-Wheeler%20process%20says%20it,have%20required%20the%20addition%20of%20other%20high-energy%20particles.
    I have just read that link and I find it informative and highly relevant to the OP subject matter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree