2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 16:24
    @humy said
    https://phys.org/news/2019-04-characterize-molecular-scissors-plastic.html

I think this is the right strategy.
    Can this technology be scaled up to make a difference? There are literally millions tons of the nasty stuff in the oceans already.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 17:054 edits
    @sonhouse said
    Can this technology be scaled up to make a difference? There are literally millions tons of the nasty stuff in the oceans already.
    I don't see why not. But what to do about the millions of tons of plastic ALREADY in the oceans is unfortunately a rather different matter. Obviously the main problem with that is with the massive problem of its collection when it is spread over a vast area, not nearly so much what to do with it once it is collected. Still, at least this technology would deal with the latter.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Apr '19 01:58
    @humy said
    I don't see why not. But what to do about the millions of tons of plastic ALREADY in the oceans is unfortunately a rather different matter. Obviously the main problem with that is with the massive problem of its collection when it is spread over a vast area, not nearly so much what to do with it once it is collected. Still, at least this technology would deal with the latter.
    I think ocean currents tend to concentrate it in particular places such as the Sargasso Sea - I'm at high risk of being wrong about this - but that would tend to simplify collection of floating waste.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 17:30
    @deepthought said
    I think ocean currents tend to concentrate it in particular places such as the Sargasso Sea - I'm at high risk of being wrong about this - but that would tend to simplify collection of floating waste.
    That would be a place to start for sure. I just hope they can scale up to do the job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree