maybe?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 14:07
    @lemondrop said
    maybe?
    There are hundreds of thousands of brains in a vat, just not alive.....
    I gather you have just watched Donavan's Brain.
  3. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 14:45
    @sonhouse said
    more in the likes of the matrix
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 15:06
    @lemondrop said
    more in the likes of the matrix
    Brains don't work without stimulation and interaction. So it'd have to be something like the permanent dream state Matrix in which the brain was tricked into thinking it was out there walking around.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 22:11
    @wildgrass
    But the matrix had people crashing into the digital world so THOSE brains were hooked to a living body, not a brain in a vat.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 22:21
    @lemondrop said
    maybe?
    Reality hidden in plain sight.
  7. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    20 Aug '19 00:35
    @sonhouse said
    @wildgrass
    But the matrix had people crashing into the digital world so THOSE brains were hooked to a living body, not a brain in a vat.
    I really don't know what I'm talking about
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Aug '19 09:49
    @lemondrop said
    A movie reference.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Aug '19 11:28
    @sonhouse said
    @wildgrass
    It doesn't matter whether the brain is being kept alive by a body or a life support system. One needs the entire nervous system though, just the brain would be a problem because one needs to know which fibre in the brain's junction with the spinal cord is connected with which nerve ending to give the brain inputs it can make sense of and to handle the outputs so the brain in a vat can interact with the world. This means one has to distinguish between sensory nerves and motor nerves and there are trillions of them. One would also need to simulate the body and let the brain think it's running an actual body rather than just getting random inputs. So the user experience, so to speak, is the same in the matrix films, where their entire bodies are in vats, as it is in the case of an actual brain in a vat.

The idea is that one cannot tell whether one is a brain in a vat or not. Any anomalies in one's perceived reality could be due to neurological events or due to glitches in a simulation. The prefrontal cortex, which is not active during dreaming, has reality checking as one of its functions. So, it seems likely to me that one could tell the difference if one's transference to a vat happened in adulthood - in a scenario where Dr Black, the evil neuroscientist, kidnaps someone, cuts out the brain and connects it to a machine that simulates reality. I think the victim would be able to tell the difference, unless the simulation was nearly perfect, which we just don't have the computational power for - we need to simulate an entire body. This leaves an entire lifetime in the vat, as then one's prefrontal cortex would only have one reality to work with. This seems somewhat pointless, except maybe as a way of giving people born with profound physical disabilities a normal life, but any civilization capable of a simulation this complex could probably prevent or cure the disability. So the only remaining option that makes any sense is that the entire brain is simulated. If the whole of reality is a simulation then it implies the existence of a higher reality in which the simulation is running. That reality needs to be bigger than the simulation, in some sense, since the constraints on our universe reflect limits on their computational power. So I don't think any of this is particularly plausible.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Aug '19 14:53
    @DeepThought
    At least not in THIS century....
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '19 17:38
    @lemondrop said
    We know.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '19 17:39
    @lemondrop

Nazi Science sneers at brains in vats!
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '19 20:281 edit
    @sonhouse said
    Grab the one named "Abbey".
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Aug '19 22:102 edits
    @whodey said
    Grab the one named "Abbey".
    ROFL, a friend of mine and I at work just talked about "Abbey", last name "Normal". 🙂

I have spend to much time in my life watching movies. 🙂
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Aug '19 03:47
    @kellyjay said
    ROFL, a friend of mine and I at work just talked about "Abbey", last name "Normal". 🙂

I have spend to much time in my life watching movies. 🙂
    And for those of you (you know who you are) who haven't spent enough time in your life watching movies...

YouTube : Abby Normal

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree