1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '21 17:22
    Things are very quiet in the science forum these days. Why? Is it the constant questioning of established truths like the shape of Earth or the existence of subterranean human-like reptiles that has beaten down the search for new knowledge?

that's my theory anyway.
  2. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    22 Apr '21 19:55
    @wildgrass said
    Things are very quiet in the science forum these days. Why? Is it the constant questioning of established truths like the shape of Earth or the existence of subterranean human-like reptiles that has beaten down the search for new knowledge?

that's my theory anyway.
    The problem with science is that it has been poisoned by psychotic greed for money and profits. There are conflicts of interest everywhere, news sources endlessly spewing mostly half-truths and propaganda by those with connections, and the silencing or ridicule of those truly honest scientists who have little money and no connections. One cannot trust anything anymore and it's becoming more and more difficult to find honest truth about many important issues.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Apr '21 08:56
    @bunnyknight said
    The problem with science is that it has been poisoned by psychotic greed for money and profits. There are conflicts of interest everywhere, news sources endlessly spewing mostly half-truths and propaganda by those with connections, and the silencing or ridicule of those truly honest scientists who have little money and no connections. One cannot trust anything anymore and it's becoming more and more difficult to find honest truth about many important issues.
    We have the problem that a capitalistic meme invaded both the funding of science and the reporting of scientific results.

Results need to show some "techno-economic" value. That is: Science should be the vehicle to make money. The reporting does the same, even very far fetched "future applications" are put in the headline instead of the sheer joy of finding things out (I borrow here from Feynman).
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Apr '21 20:19
    @Ponderable
    "capatalistic Meme''= Donald Trump.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    25 Apr '21 23:152 edits
    @sonhouse said
    @Ponderable
    "capatalistic Meme''= Donald Trump.
    Anti-science was way before Trump. Think flat earth, and creationism. Social media is a swamp infested with alligators. Stupid people believed in Nostradamus, astrology and zombies. People like MB have settled in here and driven away the grounded folk who like to talk about real stuff.
    The powerful few (the 1% and their global corporations and media) are achieving their goals of silencing knowledge and infantilising consumers. It's not just the planet being destroyed.
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '21 02:44
    @bunnyknight said
    I think you hit on trust, which is really important. Scientists are not public figures, and non-scientists cannot easily digest the primary literature and understand the caveats of the research. The news sources are awful at distilling the information into layman's terms without spinning it or dumbing it down to the point where it no longer makes sense.

Now - how to fix it?
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Apr '21 06:38
    @wildgrass said
    I think you hit on trust, which is really important. Scientists are not public figures, and non-scientists cannot easily digest the primary literature and understand the caveats of the research. The news sources are awful at distilling the information into layman's terms without spinning it or dumbing it down to the point where it no longer makes sense.

Now - how to fix it?
    The simple answer would be: educate the masses.

However there si a limit to the power of education, especially if people are used to edutainement. Here we do have the problem of balancing motivation (we want people to want understand) with hard work (some concepts aren't really suited to comic representation).
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '21 12:502 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '21 01:58
    @wildgrass said

that's my theory anyway.
    Still upset about that bet you lost?
    You lost. Nobody forced you to make that bet.

YouTube
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    28 Apr '21 03:58
    @metal-brain said
    Still upset about that bet you lost?
    You lost. Nobody forced you to make that bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T4yRzesgKM
    Oh, go away. Get out of the Science forum, you don't have to spout your inane nonsense everywhere on the site.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '21 11:45
    @kewpie said
    Oh, go away. Get out of the Science forum, you don't have to spout your inane nonsense everywhere on the site.
    Again, nothing to offer. This is the science forum. It is supposed to be about science. You want the ad hominem attack forum. Go look for it until you find it.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Apr '21 21:02
    @Metal-Brain
    Wow, you actually think YOU have something to offer the science forum.

You have shown yourself to be nothing but an attention seeking troll many times over.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '21 23:49
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Wow, you actually think YOU have something to offer the science forum.

You have shown yourself to be nothing but an attention seeking troll many times over.
    You don't dispute some vaccines are gene therapy.
    I had that to offer.
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '21 04:54
    @bunnyknight said
    I think you're conflating a few things here. News sources are not science. While I agree that scientific jargon can be inaccessible to most, consensus building is active and alive and well in the scientific community. It's unfortunate that the public trust in the scientific method has been eroded.

How do we fix it?
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '21 05:01
    @ponderable said
    The simple answer would be: educate the masses.

However there si a limit to the power of education, especially if people are used to edutainement. Here we do have the problem of balancing motivation (we want people to want understand) with hard work (some concepts aren't really suited to comic representation).
    At the very least educating the decision makers. The base of knowledge continues to grow and it becomes increasing more difficult to be knowledeable in these areas. But people (most importantly civic leaders and politicians) should possess the ability to synthesize the societal implications of new scientific discoveries.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree