1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Jul '21 21:04
    Below is an interesting video on the topic. It's 11 minutes long:

YouTube : Are Viruses Living?

Some key points:

1) Not all viruses all the same and some viruses exhibit different qualities of what's considered "living" that other viruses don't.

2) Some organisms considered "living" like certain forms of bacteria, also behave much like bacteria, needing to replicate inside of cells and also lack many of the typical traits of being alive as viruses.

3) There's no universally agreed upon definition for "living".
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '21 21:22
    It all depends on what the definition of is is.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '21 22:201 edit
    @vivify said

[youtube Are Viruses Living?]FXqmzKwBB_w[/youtube]

Some key points:

1) Not all viruses all the same and some viruses exhibit different qualities of what's considered "living" that other viruses don't.

2) Some organisms considered "living" like certain forms of bacteria, also behave much like bact ...[text shortened]... raits of being alive as viruses.

I just started reading carl Zimmer's new book "life's edge" on this exact subject. It seems really good.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    14 Jul '21 15:101 edit
    As I understand it viruses are not alive until they encounter a living cell which allows them to procreate.
    I was taught that to be classed as "living" an object had to satisfy 4 conditions "eat,excrete,move and reproduce"
    I think though, that this was probably a simplified lesson for the purpose of teaching schoolchildren
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '21 03:57
    @venda said
    As I understand it viruses are not alive until they encounter a living cell which allows them to procreate.
    I was taught that to be classed as "living" an object had to satisfy 4 conditions "eat,excrete,move and reproduce"
    I think though, that this was probably a simplified lesson for the purpose of teaching schoolchildren
    What about a virus that permanently colonizes its host?
  6. Standard memberDanydandanUM
    Father Tedite.
    Moves
    15 Jul '21 16:511 edit
    @wildgrass
    Perhaps it can become a living being by the process of assimilation, (not sure if that is the correct term but.)

But viruses aren't able to replicate without their host, nor will they survive very long withut it. Thus I do not think they can be called 'alive' as they cannot survive independently.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    15 Jul '21 17:361 edit
    @venda said
    By that definition, I am not "living".
    I have not procreated so far. (As far as I know.)
  8. Standard memberDanydandanUM
    Father Tedite.
    Moves
    15 Jul '21 19:20
    @mwmiller said
    Do you have your own biological 'machinery' to allow you to replicate?

Do you have a metabolism?
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 05:11
    @vivify said

[youtube Are Viruses Living?]FXqmzKwBB_w[/youtube]

Some key points:

2) Some organisms considered "living" like certain forms of bacteria, also behave much like bact ...[text shortened]... raits of being alive as viruses.

Anything that has a genome and evolves is a living organism. Lots of species are dependent on other species for survival. Heck, some species are dependent on forest fires for survival. Does that make the Jack Pine and Kirtland Warbler lesser species?
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 05:13
    @danydandanum said
    @wildgrass
    Perhaps it can become a living being by the process of assimilation, (not sure if that is the correct term but.)

But viruses aren't able to replicate without their host, nor will they survive very long withut it. Thus I do not think they can be called 'alive' as they cannot survive independently.
    Jack Pine cannot survive very long without forest fires. They are alive, right?
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 16:14
    @metal-brain said
    Jack Pine cannot survive very long without forest fires. They are alive, right?
    We cannot survive very long without oxygen, what’s your point?
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '21 16:53
    @kevcvs57 said
    We cannot survive very long without oxygen, what’s your point?
    Almost all life forms are dependent on other life forms. You have bacteria in your gut. What is it for? Can you live without it?

Many flowering life forms depend on bees and other insects for survival. Can they reproduce on their own? Same thing for fruit bats. Can the fruit they eat survive without them?
  13. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '21 19:05
    @danydandanum said
    @wildgrass

But there are lots of things considered living that are dependent on host organisms.

What is the difference, for example, between a parasitic protozoa (e.g. malaria) and the chicken pox virus? Both are incapable of completing their life cycle without infecting a host. The only difference is, perhaps, a cell membrane.

If malaria is alive, then viruses are alive.
  14. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Jul '21 15:31
    @mwmiller said
    But you are capable of procreation I presume although we know some living things may not be able to due to faults within their makeup.
    As I said,I think the statement was a "simplified" one for teaching schoolchildren
  15. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 Jul '21 15:39
    @venda
    OK, OK, I get it. I was just making a poor attempt at humor. I forgot to add the " 🙂 ".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree