1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '21 09:19
    What if antimatter is not attracted to matter and has the opposite effect and is only attracted to other collective antimatter elements? What if there are entire galaxies of matter and antimatter out there and they don't come in contact because they repel unless they are other antimatter galaxies?

How could this theory be proven? Is it impossible to prove and will forever remain a mystery?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '21 15:46
    @Metal-Brain
    https://phys.org/news/2016-06-antimatter-galaxies.html

Why didn't you just google it?

We don't see those galaxies because they would stick out like a sore thumb because if it existed, there would be normal matter impinging on the edges of that galaxy and would show massive radiation streaming from the interface between our kind of matter, even if it is gas from a nebula, that gas will soon meet up with the anti matter and all hell breaks loose.

Which means we would see that in our scopes since we can see near to the edge of the universe now, some 14 billion light years and if there was one in range, we would see the excess blow of radiation and exploding gasses blowing out of the galactic edges.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '21 20:58
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    https://phys.org/news/2016-06-antimatter-galaxies.html

Why didn't you just google it?

We don't see those galaxies because they would stick out like a sore thumb because if it existed, there would be normal matter impinging on the edges of that galaxy and would show massive radiation streaming from the interface between our kind of matter, even if it is ga ...[text shortened]... e, we would see the excess blow of radiation and exploding gasses blowing out of the galactic edges.
    "there would be normal matter impinging on the edges of that galaxy "

Nope, Not if antimatter repels matter. That was my whole point.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Nov '21 13:34
    @metal-brain said
    "there would be normal matter impinging on the edges of that galaxy "

Nope, Not if antimatter repels matter. That was my whole point.
    The word "antimatter" has a specific meaning in physics. You cannot assign random magical properties to it and expect your "what if" to make sense or have any reasonable answer. You might as well ask "what if dark matter turns out to be pink" - the only reasonable reply is "it isn't - next!"
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Nov '21 16:52
    @shallow-blue said
    The word "antimatter" has a specific meaning in physics. You cannot assign random magical properties to it and expect your "what if" to make sense or have any reasonable answer. You might as well ask "what if dark matter turns out to be pink" - the only reasonable reply is "it isn't - next!"
    "You cannot assign random magical properties to it and expect your "what if" to make sense or have any reasonable answer"

That is ironic since that describes dark matter, yet you accept that theory.
    Antimatter galaxies of equal amount to matter galaxies could explain the expansion of the universe without your "random magical properties" of dark matter.

The fact is nobody can explain the accelerated expansion of the universe without a "what if". If it isn't my random magical properties it is your random magical properties.

Next.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Nov '21 19:16
    @metal-brain said
    "You cannot assign random magical properties to it and expect your "what if" to make sense or have any reasonable answer"

That is ironic since that describes dark matter
    No, it doesn't. Not at all. There are many things unknown about dark matter, but "what if it were this random fantasy I've just come up with" is not one of them. Your hare-brained confabulations simply do not apply to real science, physics no more than medicine.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Nov '21 13:30
    @Metal-Brain
    Well if you had actually taken physics when you were in HS, you would have already learned antimatter is EXACTLY the same as far as gravity, attraction and all that goes, anti matter would suck into any other matter, dark matter, our kind of matter, other kinds of antimatter, doesn't matter, they all attract together BECAUSE space could care less about matter anti matter, dark matter, all the same to spacetime.
    So matter and anti matter will come together because of gravity and then all hell breaks loose.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '21 12:11
    @shallow-blue said
    No, it doesn't. Not at all. There are many things unknown about dark matter, but "what if it were this random fantasy I've just come up with" is not one of them. Your hare-brained confabulations simply do not apply to real science, physics no more than medicine.
    Ooops.
    I meant dark energy.

There is no evidence dark energy exists. It is a made up fantasy assertion to explain the accelerating expansion of the universe. Antimatter galaxies that repel matter is equally theoretical, but would also explain the expansion.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '21 12:151 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Well if you had actually taken physics when you were in HS, you would have already learned antimatter is EXACTLY the same as far as gravity, attraction and all that goes, anti matter would suck into any other matter, dark matter, our kind of matter, other kinds of antimatter, doesn't matter, they all attract together BECAUSE space could care less about matter ...[text shortened]... me.
    So matter and anti matter will come together because of gravity and then all hell breaks loose.
    " antimatter is EXACTLY the same as far as gravity, attraction and all that goes, anti matter would suck into any other matter"

You do not know that. Feynman said positrons travel backwards in time. Is it really so extreme to consider the possibility that the time dilation is in reverse as well?

Here is an excerpt from the link below:

"The idea of negative matter appears in past theories of matter that have now been abandoned. Using the once popular vortex theory of gravity, the possibility of matter with negative gravity was discussed by William Hicks in the 1880s. Between the 1880s and the 1890s, Karl Pearson proposed the existence of "squirts"[11] and sinks of the flow of aether. The squirts represented normal matter and the sinks represented negative matter. Pearson's theory required a fourth dimension for the aether to flow from and into"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Nov '21 18:30
    @Metal-Brain
    I am not going to argue you about electrons and antimatter, it has been proven over and over antimatter falls with gravity just like matter. That is a FACT JACK and nothing you can say will change that.

You have ONE clear agenda.

Try to prove you or your buddies are the smartest dudes on Earth and ALL other scientists are totally wrong, because they were so STUPID.

Does that about sum it up?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '21 19:02
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    I am not going to argue you about electrons and antimatter, it has been proven over and over antimatter falls with gravity just like matter. That is a FACT JACK and nothing you can say will change that.

You have ONE clear agenda.

Try to prove you or your buddies are the smartest dudes on Earth and ALL other scientists are totally wrong, because they were so STUPID.

Does that about sum it up?
    "it has been proven over and over antimatter falls with gravity just like matter"

What is your source of information?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Nov '21 19:251 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    https://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/antimatter_fall.html

Analysis of supernova 1987A showed neutrinos and antineutrinos arriving from interstellar distances within 12 seconds of each other showing antineutrinos react to gravity (spacetime) by following the exact path taken by regular neutrinos.

Are you seriously incapable of finding this stuff for yourself? It took me one minute to google that site.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '21 19:44
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    https://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/antimatter_fall.html

Analysis of supernova 1987A showed neutrinos and antineutrinos arriving from interstellar distances within 12 seconds of each other showing antineutrinos react to gravity (spacetime) by following the exact path taken by regular neutrinos.

Are you seriously incapable of finding this stuff for yourself? It took me one minute to google that site.
    Your article says this:

" But the issue has never been successfully experimentally tested"

I have no idea what neutrinos have to do with it, but it is just a theory that has never been tested according to your own article. It is not a fact jack.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '21 00:02
    @Metal-Brain
    Here is the thing, neutrinos have real mass, very tiny mass but that means they respond to changes in spacetime, in other words, gravity, so if it encounters a deep gravity well, time flow inside the neutrino changes, deeper in the well, slower time goes. So neutrino's feel all those changes including following the path of least resistance through space which is described by the curves of spacetime.

So when neutrino's and anti neutrino's arrive from a deep interstellar distance within 12 seconds that means both kinds of matter follow the same curve of space time or gravity which means if and when they do a direct experiment the most probable result will be they act the same, they both fall in gravity.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '21 08:17
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Here is the thing, neutrinos have real mass, very tiny mass but that means they respond to changes in spacetime, in other words, gravity, so if it encounters a deep gravity well, time flow inside the neutrino changes, deeper in the well, slower time goes. So neutrino's feel all those changes including following the path of least resistance through space which i ...[text shortened]... o a direct experiment the most probable result will be they act the same, they both fall in gravity.
    "most probable result"

In other words, there is no evidence of that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree