1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 21:39
    https://science.howstuffworks.com/math-concepts/amateur-solves-part-of-decades-old-math-problem.htm?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=feed

He is not really an amateur, he has a Phd from Cambridge in medicine and is very interested in math problems.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '19 23:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 12:37
    @Duchess64
    Just like Kasparov once said those mere 2600 level players are just 'enthusiastic amateurs'.
    '
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 22:562 edits

5. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 06:30
    @Duchess64

When someone offers an interesting snippet of news, do you have a compulsive need to lecture us all? It's really tedious of you.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 12:591 edit
    @kewpie said
    @Duchess64

When someone offers an interesting snippet of news, do you have a compulsive need to lecture us all? It's really tedious of you.
    Oh boy, get ready for another pejorative laden comeback. Let's see. It could be along the lines of, the Jingoistic Kewpie now shows her true color defending such a reprehensible person.

Wait for it

Wait for it๐Ÿ˜‰
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 16:301 edit

8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 16:321 edit

9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 17:03
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    ...sadly enough you use a lot of disparaging words on people and tend to use absolutes and superlatives were they are uncalled for.

You could amke much more points if you would try not to win by insulting, which will not give you a win.

You were correct in substance about the definition of amateur and professional.

sonhouse was quite correct in pointing out that a PhD in natural science indicates that the person is in the highest decile in math education most proabaly. So for the average person: He is not strictly an "amateur" (though he is in the stricvt sense of the word as defined by the dictionnary).
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 17:08
    @sonhouse said
    https://science.howstuffworks.com/math-concepts/amateur-solves-part-of-decades-old-math-problem.htm?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=feed

He is not really an amateur, he has a Phd from Cambridge in medicine and is very interested in math problems.
    The interesting math problem is in the field of two dimensional graph theory. de Grey excluded one of three possible solutions, probably renewing the zeal to find a solution.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 17:243 edits

12. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 17:392 edits

13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 21:402 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    So now you quibble over semantics. He in fact had a Phd, even if it wasn't in my 'medicine' statement. The amount of actual work would be about the same and he would have had to have had a significant degree of math education getting to the Phd.

What you do is jump on any kind of error as if that destroys the entire argument and then adding the invective's to top off your cake of cultural destruction.
    But I am too stupid to have ever even thought out this post so therefore since I am a reprehensible pathological lying jingoistic American racist MALE, I must have hired a REAL person to have typed all this out, my personal intellectual engine I bought on Amazon to install on my multiCPU supercomputer in my basement that was actually invented by this genius I hired.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Mar '19 01:061 edit

15. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Mar '19 01:23
    @Duchess64

You're lecturing AGAIN.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree