1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '20 13:111 edit
    https://massivesci.com/articles/marie-curie-science-hero-chemistry-nobel/?utm_source=drip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Women+In+STEM&utm_content=5+facts+about+Marie+Curie

For instance, I didn't know her daughter received the Nobel prize also.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '20 20:35
    @sonhouse

I didn't know polonium was named after Poland. Why not polandium?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '20 23:551 edit
    @wildgrass
    May have been some Latin variation of Poland. Just a guess.
    More than a guess, I gargled it, here is the reply:
    "What's the Latin word for polish? Here's how you say it. Latin Translation. poloniae."
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 May '20 23:54
    @sonhouse said
    Describing her and her husband's shared interests;
    They were inseparable – bicycling, traveling, and discovering elements together

Made me laugh, imagine having "discovering new elements" as a hobby!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 May '20 00:00

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 May '20 20:45
    @Duchess64
    So the D64 haters hit thumbs down just because she posted this bit about Madam Curie.

You all should grow up. BTW, this is not me sucking up to D64, just pointing out bullshyte when I see it.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '20 20:54

8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '20 00:49
    @Duchess64
    Hey all you thumbdowners, why don't you just say who you are? Believe me, I am not a friend of D64 but this is childish.
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    31 May '20 04:331 edit
    I never look at thumbs, and I don't know any grownups who do, because they're completely pointless. If this post gathers 100 thumbs down, I won't even know about it.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '20 18:41
    @Kewpie

Fair enough.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 06:34
    @kewpie said
    I never look at thumbs, and I don't know any grownups who do, because they're completely pointless. If this post gathers 100 thumbs down, I won't even know about it.
    There's an interesting question: would the system be able to cope with a three-digit thumbs down figure?
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 11:5915 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I have news for you; Although there probably is someone here that gives your posts a thumbs down without even reading it, the same is true for OUR posts and it is a fair bet that people here generally give your post several thumbs down BECAUSE they read it. Guess why so? Its because of your racist views against people you like to label as 'westerners' here while hypocritically make out THEY are the one's being racist!
    And have you noticed that sonhouse's and wildgras's posts, among several others, keep getting thumbs down regardless of how inoffensive the statements in their posts are thus indicating they keep getting the thumbs down automatically without their posts being read? For example, sonhouse got 3 thumbs down for a post that just said "@Kewpie Fair enough". Can the words "Fair enough" offend someone let alone 3 people!? Who keeps giving THEM the thumbs down? Certainly at least 3 people here are being infantile. I think I can guess the forum-names of at least 2 of them and probably at least those 2 will give this post of mine thumbs down either before reading it or simply without reading it.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 02:261 edit

14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 23:44
    @soothfast said
    There's an interesting question: would the system be able to cope with a three-digit thumbs down figure?
    Well, if the numbers restricted it'll be to one of the standard representations like a 32 bit integer, but web stuff is all in these scripting languages that aren't limited by the widths of hardware registers so it's entirely possible that the entire population of the world can thumb down the post and it'll still plenty of spare capacity.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jun '20 21:35
    @DeepThought
    Marking it down would be a bitch though🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree