1. Joined
    27 Jun '20
    Moves
    27 Jun '20 03:48
    The Babson Task is my favorite chess puzzle of all time. I made a video that explains the puzzle and discusses the fascinating history of the problem. I thought some people here might enjoy it!

YouTube

(If you haven’t heard of the Babson Task, you’re really missing out)
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 16:10
    @BitFlippingMuckraker

Good video. One other interesting bit of history is that the task was achieved in Selfmate form in 1926, a number of years before Yarosh's directmate in 1983.

For those interested in some extra history, there is a good Wiki article on the subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babson_task
  3. Joined
    27 Jun '20
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 18:29
    @BigDoggProblem

Good point! Another remark from your Wikipedia link is that Pierre Drumare, who I mention in the video, also published a Babson task shortly before Yarosh but it wasn't considered satisfactory - the position was illegal and had a ton of promoted pieces on the board.
  4. e4
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 09:41
    Hi BitFlippingMuckraker

Good vid, linked it to the Chess Forum Thread 186231
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 11:03
    @bitflippingmuckraker said
    The Babson Task is my favorite chess puzzle of all time. I made a video that explains the puzzle and discusses the fascinating history of the problem. I thought some people here might enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZlLw0ts3k

(If you haven’t heard of the Babson Task, you’re really missing out)
    As a consummate patzer, I must say that I'm accustomed to my own humility in Chess.

But, that puzzle is humbling on all levels.
    That such a position could ever be consciously contrived seems super-human. Pure genius.

Thanks for the enlightenment.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 11:10
    @wolfe63 said
    As a consummate patzer, I must say that I'm accustomed to my own humility in Chess.

But, that puzzle is humbling on all levels.
    That such a position could ever be consciously contrived seems super-human. Pure genius.

Thanks for the enlightenment.
    It took years before anyone managed it. I recall a prior thread about this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree