1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 20:29
    So I have a Honda Pilot, 10 years old, has a nav system based on a DVD player and DVD. They died so first I got a new DVD player and to save bucks tried to get the old DVD out, which I did without scratching it. It turned out both DVD player and DVD was bad but that is not the puzzle. The DVD player would not release the DVD so I stripped it apart and managed to get the DVD out without scratching it.
    But I noticed something inside the player I never saw before in a DVD or CD player:
    A thin coating of a reddish brown powder all over the inside of the player.

Now I figured if it was rust on metal parts the rust would stay pretty much fixed and if any of that rust fell off it would stay in place and be rather large crystals but this stuff is very small powder. it is pretty much spread around everywhere in the actual mechanics. Any idea of what that can be? The DVD didn't look that bad and is plastic, could the laser modify the DVD enough to produce red brown power? Any ideas?
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '20 13:04
    @sonhouse said
    So I have a Honda Pilot, 10 years old, has a nav system based on a DVD player and DVD. They died so first I got a new DVD player and to save bucks tried to get the old DVD out, which I did without scratching it. It turned out both DVD player and DVD was bad but that is not the puzzle. The DVD player would not release the DVD so I stripped it apart and managed to get the DVD ...[text shortened]... hat bad and is plastic, could the laser modify the DVD enough to produce red brown power? Any ideas?
    How is this a puzzle? Take it to technology, Skippy!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Mar '20 15:241 edit
    @Shallow-Blue
    Do you know the answer? I don't which is why I put it here.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Apr '20 05:31
    @sonhouse said
    @Shallow-Blue
    Do you know the answer?
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '20
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 16:18
    Have you tried snorting it?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '20 19:33
    @Boris72

Good one but it better be fukking STRONG😉 My guess is somehow the laser did a number on the DVD because it was spread out in a line from the DVD so if I had access to an XR electron microscope I could see it probably turns out to be some kind of a deteriorated polyamid or some such organic stuff.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree