1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 03:323 edits
    So we have a SUPER dragster, the former record was some 3.8 seconds in the quarter mile race.

Now it is ONE second for the quarter mile.

So, given one second for the whole trip, constant acceleration, no need for calculus😉

So how fast is the dragster going at the end, the machine has several miles to stop so it goes balls to the wall.

And how many G's of that constant accel does it take to make that trip in one second?

The dragster starts from zero velocity, not moving.

I know you have to have a gradient of accel but we ignore that pesky fact and start with the G force that is X from the time of the green light to 1320 feet starting at zero velocity, just to keep things simple🙂

Use feet, miles, mm, cm, meters, whatever you want🙂

One thing I noticed, google gives accel on Earth as 9.807 m/s^2

So I took the number of inches per meter at 39.37 and multiply to give

32.1751325 F/S^2, not the 32 I see in most HS books.

A whole 1.00547 and change more, not a huge deal🙂
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Feb '22 05:33
    @sonhouse said
    So we have a SUPER dragster, the former record was some 3.8 seconds in the quarter mile race.

So, given one second for the whole trip, constant acceleration, no need for calculus😉

So how fast is the dragster going at the end, the machine has several miles to stop so it goes balls to the wall.

And how many G's of that c ...[text shortened]... 1325 F/S^2, not the 32 I see in most HS books.

You need to mind your sig figs mister
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Feb '22 05:351 edit
    @sonhouse said

And how many G's of that c ...[text shortened]... 1325 F/S^2, not the 32 I see in most HS books.

hmmmmm
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Feb '22 05:19
    @sonhouse said

Reveal Hidden Content
    using d=vot+(at^2)/2, a=2640ft/s^2
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Feb '22 00:54
    @AThousandYoung
    Can you imagine if that was a jet? The guy better have extraordinary G force padding🙂
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Feb '22 04:12
    @sonhouse said
    @AThousandYoung
    Can you imagine if that was a jet? The guy better have extraordinary G force padding🙂
    Yeah that is a similar level of 8 Gs as fighter pilots undergo during extreme maneuvers. At the edge of human tolerance.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Feb '22 07:24
    @AThousandYoung
    Not EIGHT G's. 8 G's in a sling gets you 1/4 mile in 3.2 seconds.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree