1. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '21 21:20
    My girlfriend and I recently went for a Covid test, given that the pair of us were either both positive or both negative (as we live together) and the test is 50% accurate, how accurate is the overall test?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Feb '21 22:263 edits
    @campaigner said
    My girlfriend and I recently went for a Covid test, given that the pair of us were either both positive or both negative (as we live together) and the test is 50% accurate, how accurate is the overall test?
    50% accurate...that's a junk test!

25% for the group.

P( C+/-) = probability you have/don't have COVID
    P( T+/-) = probability you test positive/negative

You either have it or you don't have it: P(C+) = P(C-) = 1/2

P(T+| C+ ) = 1/2 = P(T-| C- )

P(C+) P(T+| C+ )^2 + P(C-) P(T-| C- )^2 = 1/2 * ( 1/4 + 1/4 ) = 1/4

This ignores Bayes Theorem and disease prevalence.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 13:37
    @campaigner said
    There are 4 possible results
    pp nn pn np = 1/4 = 25%
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 01:18
    @venda

Yep, that simplifies it, Venda

Each test is 1/2 chance of being accurate, so chance of both accurate is (1/2)^2 = 1/4
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 05:11
    @Campaigner
    On the assumption that if one of you has the disease both do, and that if the test is positive then it is correct (sensitivity) then the combined test produces a 75% chance of disease detection.

50% accurate does not specify which direction the test fails. There is specificity (true negatives) and sensitivity (true positives) - so what do you mean by "accurate"?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 15:133 edits
    @deepthought said
    @Campaigner
    On the assumption that if one of you has the disease both do, and that if the test is positive then it is correct (sensitivity) then the combined test produces a 75% chance of disease detection.

50% accurate does not specify which direction the test fails. There is specificity (true negatives) and sensitivity (true positives) - so what do you mean by "accurate"?
    That's a good point. If they are both equal ( specificity and sensitivity ) at 50% then its not a test, its a coin flip.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree