1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Mar '21 17:401 edit
    Given 10^6 regular ( 6 - sided) dice thrown simultaneously, what is the probability that the product of all the results is even? Express the result as "(a-c)/b" where "(a-c)" and "b" are coprime.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Mar '21 20:15
    @joe-shmo said
    Given 10^6 regular ( 6 - sided) dice thrown simultaneously, what is the probability that the product of all the results is even? Express the result as "(a-c)/b" where "(a-c)" and "b" are coprime.
    To start with 2 die(as opposed to a million!) the combinations are 6!/2! =15 plus six doubles =21.
    the probability of the product of 21 possibilities being even is 15/21.
    I think co prime means consecutive numbers so that takes out another 6 ,so the probability of the product of 21 numbers excluding co primes is 9/21.
    I suppose you have to multiply this up by 500k somehow to get the answer.
    A bit beyond me I'm afraid my friend but I'll be interested in the answer when some bright spark get's round to it!
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Mar '21 20:25
    @venda said
    To start with 2 die(as opposed to a million!) the combinations are 6!/2! =15 plus six doubles =21.
    the probability of the product of 21 possibilities being even is 15/21.
    I think co prime means consecutive numbers so that takes out another 6 ,so the probability of the product of 21 numbers excluding co primes is 9/21.
    I suppose you have to multiply this up by 500k somehow to ...[text shortened]... I'm afraid my friend but I'll be interested in the answer when some bright spark get's round to it!
    co prime just means a fraction in lowest terms ( no common factors between numerator and denominator )

2/3 coprime

4/6 not coprime
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    10 Mar '21 09:04
    @joe-shmo said
    co prime just means a fraction in lowest terms ( no common factors between numerator and denominator )

2/3 coprime

4/6 not coprime
    Thanks.I stand corrected(as usual!)
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '21 15:08
    @venda said
    Thanks.I stand corrected(as usual!)
    This problem isn't so bad.

Just to be sure the concept is clear: If we were rolling 2 dice, I'm asking for the probability the product of the resulting rolls is even:

For example: If the rolls were 3,4 we would have 3*4 = 12 = even

So... I'm asking for the ratio of Even Results to ALL results...for 10^6 dice ( not 2 )
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    10 Mar '21 19:53
    @joe-shmo said
    This problem isn't so bad.

Just to be sure the concept is clear: If we were rolling 2 dice, I'm asking for the probability the product of the resulting rolls is even:

For example: If the rolls were 3,4 we would have 3*4 = 12 = even

So... I'm asking for the ratio of Even Results to ALL results...for 10^6 dice ( not 2 )
    I realise that Jo.
    Just that a million dice is a bit difficult to imagine.
    I might have another think about it.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '21 20:42
    @venda said
    I realise that Jo.
    Just that a million dice is a bit difficult to imagine.
    I might have another think about it.
    "Just that a million dice is a bit difficult to imagine."

If I may ( I'm not trying to be an arse hole ) ....start with 1 die, and work your way up. if you do that right for the first few dice, you will have no trouble with the million.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 01:223 edits
    @joe-shmo said
    Whatever it is, it will be extremely high, in the high 99%++ probability range because all you need is for one of those dice to roll 2, 4 or 6 to make that product even.

To get an ODD product, you need all of the rolls to be odd. The chances of that happening are 0.5^(10^6). So the probability of getting an even product will be found by:

1.0 - (0.5)^(10^6)

I'm not sure what to do with this part:

Express the result as "(a-c)/b" where "(a-c)" and "b" are coprime.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 01:514 edits
    @athousandyoung said
    Whatever it is, it will be extremely high, in the high 99%++ probability range because all you need is for one of those dice to roll 2, 4 or 6 to make that product even.

To get an ODD product, you need all of the rolls to be odd. The chances of that happening are 0.5^(10^6). So the probability of getting an even product will be found by:

1.0 - (0.5)^(10^6)

I ...[text shortened]... ith this part:

Express the result as "(a-c)/b" where "(a-c)" and "b" are coprime.
    Correct ATY!

Don't worry about the last part. I was just looking for you to format the probability as:

P( Even product ) = ( 2^n - 1 ) /2^n

where

n= 10^6

That's not important.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree