1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 17:54
    @gruler said
    The opening is often called Symmetrical English, and accordingly ECO lists it as A39. But it is really a Yugoslav Variation KID, and it is included in "The King's Indian Defence" by Barden, Hartston and Keene, published 1969. Ray Keene wrote that chapter.
    Thanks for the info. I'm surprised to see it called a kings indian. I would have called it a catalan personally, but hey ho..
  2. Joined
    06 Jun '12
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 08:241 edit
    After 13 moves the game is identical to Penillas Mendez - Loureda Garcia 1997 with a slightly different move order. Penillas Mendez went on to win.

https://www.365chess.com/view_game.php?g=1108342&m=25

The position is the same for both an English Symmetrical and a King's Indian defence variation. I think the determining factor is when Black plays the pawn to d6. KID is on move 6, while the other 3 listed d6 occurs on move 9. So officially I think it's English Symmetrical Main Line (A39).

Marinkatomb game stub:

English Symmetrical move order, which actually has 10 moves of this variation listed in my ecocodes.txt from Arena GUI.

King's Indian defence with 7 moves listed in the variation from ecocodes.txt.

I believe it can't be a Catalan unless Black plays an early pawn to d5 and e6 and develops the dark squared Bishop along the a3-f8 diagonal.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 09:28
    @meat-puppet said
    After 13 moves the game is identical to Penillas Mendez - Loureda Garcia 1997 with a slightly different move order. Penillas Mendez went on to win.

https://www.365chess.com/view_game.php?g=1108342&m=25

The position is the same for both an English Symmetrical and a King's Indian defence variation. I think the determining factor is when Black plays the pawn to d6. KID ...[text shortened]... lack plays an early pawn to d5 and e6 and develops the dark squared Bishop along the a3-f8 diagonal.
    Ah so Qd2 is actually theory, interesting. Thanks for the info 🙂
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Oct '18 13:05
    @marinkatomb said
    I tied for first in the Norfolk congress this weekend! It was the u150 section, but still pretty cool. 😀
    Congratulations!!!

-VR
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Oct '18 21:40
    @marinkatomb said
    I tied for first in the Norfolk congress this weekend! It was the u150 section, but still pretty cool. 😀
    What is 150 in USCF land? congrats for sure.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree