1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Dec '18 11:18
    Does anyone know why Bobby Fischer hated Jews?? Fischer's dislike for Jews was well known, but I could never find out why he thought that way. I think his mother was at least part Jewish. Any ideas?

YouTube
  2. e4
    Moves
    27 Dec '18 12:481 edit
    From 1975 onwards his mental health declined and what ever he said
    against the Jewish people, the USA, other chess players etc..should be
    ignored as they were the utterings of a sick man who declined medical help.

In 1968 Fischer played in and won the Netanya Tournament, a tournament held in Israel
    and organised to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the founding of the state of Israel.

Hardly think a bona fide 'Jew hater' would accept that invitation or have anything to do with it.
  3. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    27 Dec '18 17:10
    Karpov was going to crush booby Fischer in 1975 so booby ran away and it drove him crazy. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 01:33
    @greenpawn34 said
    From 1975 onwards his mental health declined and what ever he said
    against the Jewish people, the USA, other chess players etc..should be
    ignored as they were the utterings of a sick man who declined medical help.

In 1968 Fischer played in and won the Netanya Tournament, a tournament held in Israel
    and organised to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the founding ...[text shortened]...

Hardly think a bona fide 'Jew hater' would accept that invitation or have anything to do with it.
    That is sad. He could have done so much more-
    ๐Ÿ™
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 18:031 edit
    @mchill

Fischer was a marvelous chess player, but an ill-educated, unbalanced, incomplete human being. Don't trouble yourself about his political ramblings; there may well have been no "why" at all, or, if there was, it was incoherent.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 19:31
    @nomorechess said
    Karpov was going to crush booby Fischer in 1975 so booby ran away and it drove him crazy. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    That's your opinion.
  7. SubscriberTheBigKat
    Editor
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 19:31
    @greenpawn34 You place his issues with Jews as a mental health? If you listen/watch live interviews, you should question yourself. What he stated was true if you believe it or not. The issue did not start with there in his life. His mother was a ultimate influence in his life. He was allowed to be strange in his youth and this is what you got. I wonder what Bobby thought about black people????
  8. SubscriberTheBigKat
    Editor
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 19:33
    @greenpawn34 Also, Bobby did not hate all Jews, only the ones in power.
  9. RSA
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 21:51
    @mchill said
    Does anyone know why Bobby Fischer hated Jews?? Fischer's dislike for Jews was well known, but I could never find out why he thought that way. I think his mother was at least part Jewish. Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_11Cdxvtfo
    His father was a Hungarian Jew. His mother was a Polish Jew.

It's likely that he was overwhelmingly Ashkenazi Jewish from a genetic standpoint. He must have been self-hating.
  10. SubscriberTheBigKat
    Editor
    Moves
    29 Dec '18 07:30
    @Ashiitaka You speak as if being a jew is a race of people. It's a RELIGION!!!!!!
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Dec '18 11:20
    @thebigkat said
    @Ashiitaka You speak as if being a jew is a race of people. It's a RELIGION!!!!!!
    The Jews themselves consider themselves to be an ethnic and religious group. Separate them at your peril.
  12. e4
    Moves
    29 Dec '18 13:05
    Hi BigKat,

Only time I've heard Bobby ranting on about Jews is after 1975. Prior to then
    he made quite a few television appearances and came across as quite polite.
    That was a perfect medium with an audience of millions to express his views.

There is no doubt he had mental issues that surfaced after 1975 and
    people should understand that. He never physically hurt anyone or joined
    a far right organisation. If he was not who he was then his ramblings would
    have been ignored and not given a microphone to vent his anger.

Regarding v Karpov, the general consensus among players who knew him and
    players since seem to think that Fischer would have won in 1975 but not 1978.
    A lot of it is based on the format of a 24 game match and how Karpov had a
    mini collapse during his 1978 match v Korchnoi when the pressure got to him.
    In 1975 the pressure would have been applied 10 fold by Fischer. Come 1978
    he would have been more prepared mentally to face Fischer and at his peak.
    Fischer would have been older. The great unplayed match. Pity.
  13. RSA
    Moves
    29 Dec '18 15:391 edit
    @thebigkat said
    If a Jewish person does a DNA test, they will come up as Ashkenazi/Sephardic Jewish. They are genetically distinct.

You speak as if being a Jew is a race of people. It's a RELIGION!!!!!!

No. It's a religion, genetic group and ethnicity. My mother is descended from Jews from Lithuania, and so I am partly Jewish genetically speaking. However, I don't have the slightest interest in religion.

A non-Jew who converts to Judaism is called a Jew, but that doesn't make them Ashkenazi/Sephardic. Someone can have a Jewish father (and so be 50% Jewish), but not be considered religiously Jewish under Halakhic law and be barred from attending any but the most liberal synagogues (Judaism is passed through the mother).
  14. RSA
    Moves
    29 Dec '18 16:15
    I can recall Bobby taking issue with the Polgárs on account of being Jewish.

It's very strange.
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 01:03
    @mchill

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree