Moves
    25 Mar '19 02:56
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Mar '19 03:01
    @creepingdeath said
    White played strange opening moves. Black made a bad sacrifice, then hung a Knight shortly after. Apparently rattled by this turn of events, Black made several more blunders, allowing a rout.
  4. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    25 Mar '19 11:04
    That'll boost his confidence 🙄
  5. e4
    Moves
    25 Mar '19 11:37
    The first sac, a Bishop for two pawns and an exposed King had chances to complicate.
    But the worst move in this game came on Black's move 8.

Black played 8...h6. but 8...e5 would have generated play.
    You never play a speculative sacrifice and then take time out for non-essential moves.

These pointless h6 and a6's (and a3 and h3's) have to be removed
    from Black's game. 'Fear of the Phantom Pin'

(After that we can work on White and the Na3 and Nh3's )
  6. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Mar '19 19:10
    @greenpawn34

Stop leaving pieces en prise, then we can discuss strategic elements.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Mar '19 00:30
    @moonbus
    I suspect that you and Greenpawn are making the same point from different perspectives. His idea is that ...h6 is strategic and abstract, whereas ...e5 is more dynamic and tactical.

I know this is not true for everyone, but for me, my greatest propensity to drop one of my own pieces is when I have my head too wrapped up in strategic considerations- a variation of GM John Nunn's "Never play positionally when mate is available".

I have also noticed that when my focus is more dynamic, not only am I less inclined to drop a piece, but I am also more inclined to notice when my opponent does.

I might be off on this, but it was a thought that occurred to me.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Mar '19 00:331 edit
    @greenpawn34

My gut tells me that ...e5 on move 6 would have been devastating, but I can't tactically justify leaving the bishop hanging. White seemed to be asking to be mated on the dark squares somewhere.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Mar '19 02:32
    @greenpawn34 said
    The first sac, a Bishop for two pawns and an exposed King had chances to complicate.
    But the worst move in this game came on Black's move 8.

[fen]r2qkb1r/1pp1pppp/p1n5/3p4/3P2n1/N1P4N/PP2P2P/R1BQKB1R b KQkq - 0 8[/fen]
    Black played 8...h6. but 8...e5 would have generated play.
    You never play a speculative sacrifice and then take time out for non-essential moves. ...[text shortened]... Black's game. 'Fear of the Phantom Pin'

(After that we can work on White and the Na3 and Nh3's )
    Definitely a Key Moment missed.

A good example of a player waiting to be aggressive until they are lost. The sense of urgency should have kicked in sooner.
  10. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Mar '19 17:27
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Definitely a Key Moment missed.

A good example of a player waiting to be aggressive until they are lost. The sense of urgency should have kicked in sooner.
    Several key moments were missed, but don't overanalyse it. At those guys' ratings, they first have to stop giving away pieces.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Mar '19 21:23
    @moonbus said
    Several key moments were missed, but don't overanalyse it. At those guys' ratings, they first have to stop giving away pieces.
    Pieces themselves don't win the game. If you don't know how to use the pieces, you won't win simply because you have more.

More important is to follow the narrative of a game. Material is but one form of advantage. The beginner is not well served by closing their mind to other paths to winning, even if winning by material superiority is the most common path.
  12. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Mar '19 21:281 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Pieces themselves don't win the game. If you don't know how to use the pieces, you won't win simply because you have more.

More important is to follow the narrative of a game. Material is but one form of advantage. The beginner is not well served by closing their mind to other paths to winning, even if winning by material superiority is the most common path.
    I do not disagree with you. I only meant that a certain level of proficiency must be reached before strategic planning becomes a factor. I strongly suspect that 1100-1200 players are leaving pieces en prise without noticing it, not for strategic reasons.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Mar '19 16:35
    @creepingdeath said
    Well there was that part where you cleverly sac'd two pieces by move 10.......
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Mar '19 21:17
    @moonbus said
    I do not disagree with you. I only meant that a certain level of proficiency must be reached before strategic planning becomes a factor. I strongly suspect that 1100-1200 players are leaving pieces en prise without noticing it, not for strategic reasons.
    It's interesting to consider...without ANY strategy whatsoever, why is one opening move any better than another?

I've seen many beginners, after learning the moves, start their first games with 1.a4 and 2.Ra3. Why? Because they can sense that the Rook is a powerful piece and they want to do something with it. Yes, the Queen is even more powerful, but you just told me (with quite the serious face) that I lose the game if they get my King, so I don't want to touch that wall of pawns in front of him.

The merciful teacher gives them the ready-made strategy of playing in the center. You have to. The progress is simply too slow if you withhold ALL strategic concepts. Strategy is main reason to choose moves.
  15. e4
    Moves
    30 Mar '19 14:25
    A thoughtless ...h6 exposed in the recent Eurpoean Championship.
    It ends funnily enough with 10.a3! mate. (Black's FIDE rating is currently 1994)

M. Trajkovski - G. Bytyqi. European Championship , Skopje rd 6, 2019.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree