1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 May '22 17:001 edit
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately. 3 years ago, I was excited at the thought of returning to OTB chess. COVID turned out to be a blessing in disguise, giving me the opportunity for study and online competition. I've played in 3 OTB events since the 1st of the year and am now less than enthused. 80% of my opponents have been children under 12, none of which want to review the completed game with an older guy (understandable perhaps) The competition has been good, but not an improvement over the G60 and G90 games I play on another site on the weekends. I'm beginning to deeply question if it's worth the travel and hotel expense for face-to-face competition that is of no higher quality than I can get at home. So - What do we get out of an OTB tournament?

Thoughts?
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    15 May '22 11:15
    The social side of tournaments is important, it's good to engage with fellow woodpushers,
    discuss ideas, have a drink, the pleasing nature of walking around a playing hall mid-game,
    post-mortem analysis, have a drink, banter with friends who've just lost from a winning position,
    have another drink,
    finish a well executed combination whilst people are watching,
    only to realise it didn't work after all,
    have another drink...
    um...
    play on Sunday morning with a hangover and have it be your best game of the weekend.

Something like that πŸ™‚
  3. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    15 May '22 13:06
    @64squaresofpain

What is the favourite drink of a good chess player?

I mean... female chess players...
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 May '22 14:31
    @schlecter said
    What is the favourite drink of a good chess player?

I mean... female chess players...
    ...grow up.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 May '22 14:362 edits
    @64squaresofpain said
    The social side of tournaments is important, it's good to engage with fellow woodpushers,
    discuss ideas, have a drink, the pleasing nature of walking around a playing hall mid-game,
    post-mortem analysis, have a drink, banter with friends who've just lost from a winning position,
    have another drink,
    on ...[text shortened]... nday morning with a hangover and have it be your best game of the weekend.

Something like that πŸ™‚
    The social side of tournaments is important, it's good to engage with fellow woodpushers, discuss ideas, have a drink, the pleasing nature of walking around a playing hall mid-game, post-mortem analysis,

That used to be the case on this side of the pond as well, and I looked forward to it. Sadly, 85% of the players over here are kids under 14, who have no interest in discussing the game with an older gent, or spending any more time near him than absolutely necessary, preferring instead to scamper off immediately after the round with their friends to do hand stands against the wall (or something similar) The good news is there are a core group of about 15% of adults at these tournaments, but - their average playing strength is in the 1700 range. If I want to be a legitimate part of this group, I need to get better - - Maybe someday πŸ˜•
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 May '22 11:57
    @64squaresofpain said
    have another drink,
    on ...[text shortened]... nday morning with a hangover and have it be your best game of the weekend.

Something like that πŸ™‚
    Ah, yes, the smell of the crowd, the roar of the greasepaint. The kibitzers murmuring in the corner; standing round first board learning how to build a bridge in a K R P vs K R endgame, …
  7. Llandudno
    Moves
    25 May '22 06:00
    @moonbus
    Actually it all sounds a bit nerdy, elitist and dull.
  8. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    25 May '22 10:42
    @64squaresofpain said
    have another drink,

Something like that πŸ™‚
    This ⬆️

And the book dealer always has old books/hard to find books to buy.
  9. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    25 May '22 18:22
    @mchill

I've heard about senior divisions πŸ€”
    You could look into that. 🀷
  10. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 May '22 07:251 edit
    @capacrapa said
    @mchill

I've heard about senior divisions πŸ€”
    You could look into that. 🀷
    Your point is well taken, and a reasonable idea - but I won't do it.

Ego won't allow me to play in OTB events, if all I do is wallow in class D. It's back to online games and the tactics book. 😳
  11. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    30 May '22 04:14
    @mchill

Relaxing in my rocking chair and playing chess on my phone is better than any tournament.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '22 18:04
    @capacrapa said
    @mchill

Relaxing in my rocking chair and playing chess on my phone is better than any tournament.
    ...as long as you have a pair of banjos.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree