Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    19 Jul '21 13:57
    @Duchess64

1970 were the days of the Soviets, they were very concern about Fischer
    so as a group they did everything to stop him, but at the same time, they had very strong players like Taimanov (or Geller)
  3. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    19 Jul '21 14:03
    @Duchess64

I'm not strong enough to judge the moves but according to the internet the game was fixed.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '21 15:301 edit
    An article about cheating here

http://www.anusha.com/keres-bo.htm
  5. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    19 Jul '21 18:04
    When I played through the game, exchanging twice at f3 struck me as dubious because it develops White's queen. On the other hand, each exchange tends to reduce the force of the advance of White's kingside pawn majority, which it doesn't seem Black can prevent. So, I guess that the double exchange might well be necessary.

The next move I wondered about was 14...Be5, which seems to end up simply wasting time (compared to 14...Bxf4) because the queen leaves e7 only to soon return there.

I then wondered whether Matulovic had played the Queen's Gambit Accepted much, and a database search indicated that he had.

Then I looked up the opening in a database. It had several games involving 14...Bxf4 (most of which were draws) but only this one game with 14...Be5. It is curious indeed that the latter was tried on such a pivotal occasion.
  6. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    19 Jul '21 19:38
    Well Taimanov went on to the next round and got massacred by Fischer so karma paid him a visit for buying games.
  7. e4
    Moves
    19 Jul '21 19:38
    What is known for a fact is that Matulovic arrived very late and blitzed out his moves.

Levy, Liberzon, Timman, Korchnoi and Barden amongst others all report money changed hands. (amounts vary)
    Apparently Liberzon actually states in his book that Matulovic confessed to taking a bribe.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 03:56

This post is unavailable.

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 04:01

10. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 04:063 edits
    @Duchess64

Well I just watched the documentary on that and it would seem strange to play for a win with black while using the Pirc but it is a fighting defense and I guess someone could win with it because it is a fighting defense but it was obviously dubious to play that defense after his comeback....
    He was down and came back and uses the Pirc in the pivotal game?
    I don't think he gave up or threw the match...I think he used a fighting defense that didn't work out.

The Pirc is playable at any level but not many study it to the point of winning with it regularly.
    The Pirc always gets a bad rap and that is unfortunate.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 04:093 edits

12. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 04:241 edit

13. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 04:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    100% right...
    It boggles the mind why he did what he did but playing a fighting defense as black and winning would have been a huge victory.
    Maybe he was cocky...
    Or paid?
    I think Karpov was always better than Korchnoi.
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 06:38
    I don't think that, from the moves alone, we can tell the difference between 'Matulović threw the game because of bribery, 'Matulović, a known wildcard, threw the game because it didn't matter to him' and 'Matulović, a good but not super grand master, had an off day against one of the top players of the era'.

It may be possible to say more if you were there. Politically speaking... it's possible. It's hardly a foregone conclusion.
  15. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 15:20
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Timman's The Art of Chess Analysis includes the third game from the match between Portisch and Smyslov to determine a replacement in case one of the qualifiers for the candidate matches were to withdraw. (Since no one withdrew, the match was suspended with the score 3-3.) Here's the game, won by Smyslov (Black).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree