Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Nov '20 12:11
    @cheesemaster said
    Actually TV is censored now.
    Have you heard of "cancel culture"?
    If people get offended by a TV show they scream and yell until it gets cancelled.
    We have lost a lot of good shows because of sensitive liberals.
    We have lost some good sports broadcasters too.
    If it doesn't fit into the liberal agenda then it is being censored.
    I disagree with any censorship but it is happening now.
    I was with you until you made it political.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Nov '20 14:12
    Going off the subject ,all t.v in the U.K is censored now whether people complain about it or not mainly because of political correctness and what the censors think MIGHT offend somebody.
    I suspect it's the same in the U.S
    One example:-
    I saw the film Paper moon on t.v many years ago.
    It was recently shown on one of the old programme channels(TCM or U.K gold or something)
    In the original Tatum O Neal said "Daddy I need to go to the shithouse"
    In the re - shown version the word "shithouse" was edited out.
    A lot of the old films which would be considered politically incorrect these days simply don't get shown anymore.
    Mary Whitehouse has her way in today's society
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 09:03
    Went on bbc sport page this morning and there was an article about the rugby World Cup draw, strange I thought because in the first line it said Ireland and Scotland hadn’t qualified yet and I had read something not that long ago about the seedings being used being set from the end of last year due to the virus and cancelled games.

Turns out it was the woman’s rugby World Cup and that they had dropped the name woman’s to make it more equal. I mean,I’m all for equality but having both tournaments have the same name is just confusing and dumb. If they want to show they they’re changing with the times or whatever can it thd mens or woman’s World Cup, not the same name.

While I’m on my rant, BBC radio one said they were going to remove the world faggot from the fairytale in New York some and change it to something else because it might offend the snowflake younger viewers.

The entire world has gone to shyt imo.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 21:11
    @trev33 said
    Went on bbc sport page this morning and there was an article about the rugby World Cup draw, strange I thought because in the first line it said Ireland and Scotland hadn’t qualified yet and I had read something not that long ago about the seedings being used being set from the end of last year due to the virus and cancelled games.

Turns out it was the woman’s rugby World ...[text shortened]... se because it might offend the snowflake younger viewers.

The entire world has gone to shyt imo.
    They could replace it with "you cheap lousy maggot" without really changing the song. Although they'll have a job getting Kirsty MacColl to record a new version for them.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '20 12:34

This post is unavailable.

7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Nov '20 21:151 edit

Removed by poster

8. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 11:29

9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 14:291 edit
    @congruent said
    Chess is not about taking green pills and skipping school. 🙁
    Bobby Fischer dropped out of high school to play chess.

Magnus Carlsen famously got drunk during his "mini-bar gambit", crushed his opponents and said "I felt like a god".
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 14:551 edit
    @cheesemaster said
    I got a chuckle about an alcoholic and drug using female being the best player 😄
    http://billwall.phpwebhosting.com/articles/vices_and_chess.htm#:~:text=Ratmir%20Kholmov%20(1925%2D2006),%2DSwiss%20Grandmaster%20(1956).

Above is a list of grandmasters who were alcoholics; also, see my previous post about Magnus. Judit Polgar, female, defeated some of the greatest chess players of all time, including Kasparov and Karpov.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 18:083 edits

12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 20:332 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    You were caught lying about another poster's statements on a different thread. You're in no position to criticize anyone.

"Alekhine and Tal, were known as heavy drinkers".

That was my main point, that there have been very successful grandmasters who were drinkers. So one shouldn't be so easily dismissive of the character from "Queens Gambit" simply because a drinking problem was shown.
  13. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 22:201 edit
    It wasn't her drinking that made her ability unrealistic.

It was the tranquilizer pills.
    I have taken tranqs and playing chess is out of the question.

I loved the show actually.
    I just finished it yesterday and will watch it again.

A better ending would be she loses to Borgov at the end because of her addiction.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 23:35
    I didn't mind that it wasn't realistic. It is a movie. Most martial arts films aren't realistic, neither are most sports films, war films, etc. It was well done enough to earn suspension of disbelief.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 01:52

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree