1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Oct '21 16:54
    Unless someone is cheating, chess tournaments are usually a contest between 2 human players. Players that are uncomfortable rarely play at their best. With this in mind, should OTB tournaments that require masks be given a special designation or category, with possible rating point allowances for having to wear a mask hour after hour, while trying to concentrate on the complicated tactical positions in front of them?

Thoughts?
  2. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    03 Oct '21 16:58
    At this point in time, I would feel more uncomfortable sitting face to face, two feet from some person for hours who was not wearing a mask than wearing a mask. If wearing a mask is uncomfortable for you, find another mask that fits better.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Oct '21 17:08
    @byedidia said
    At this point in time, I would feel more uncomfortable sitting face to face, two feet from some person for hours who was not wearing a mask than wearing a mask. If wearing a mask is uncomfortable for you, find another mask that fits better.
    If wearing a mask is uncomfortable for you, find another mask that fits better.

I'm not referring to myself. I'm referring to GM's playing in top tournaments, with money and/or world championship qualifying possibilities on the line. These people can't be expected to play at their best with a mask on.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '21 17:25
    Put on a mask, surrender all your electronic devices.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Oct '21 18:57
    Play outdoors with knee-high-sized pieces. Easier for everyone to socially distance and not have to wear masks if they feel uncomfy in them.

And surrender all electronic devices, including radios concealed in hearing aids.
  6. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    03 Oct '21 19:10
    My glasses would keep fogging up so I think my opponents should have to start without the F pawn 🤔

Fair is Fair.
  7. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 17:132 edits
    @mchill

How do you know that top GMs are more comfortable being breathed on by an unmasked opponent than they are wearing a mask? I'm pointing out that the opposite is true for me, and may be for them as well. They also cannot be expected to play their best WΙΤΗΟUT a mask. Perhaps all tournaments during the pandemic should be given a special designation regardless of masking mandates?
  8. e4
    Moves
    05 Oct '21 06:471 edit
    Surgeons can sometimes spend many hours masked up in surgery conducting
    very delicate operations requiring skill, dexterity, and knowledge.

If they can do it then I'm sure wood pushers can do the same.

(Idea for a visual gag there. Chess player masked up with a nurse on either
    side of him, one to mop his sweating brow, the other to write down his moves
    ....think I'll see if I can set one up though I'm sure I've seen something like it before.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree