1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 17:49
    This 2018 world chess championship match has had a notable lack of controversies, organizational mishaps, petty squabbling, accusations of cheating, and other distractions that have marred other world championship events going back decades. The same can be said for the Olympic Games of London in 2012. The world should take notice of this. The Brit's do it better! 🙂
  2. e4
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 01:07
    But the lack of any drama off the board has made this match a bit stale.
    The game needs electronic chairs, yoghurt, defectors and players with
    weak bladders to get the media hyped up and the game onto the front pages.

When I was in London and chatting to punters in the net café, not
    one of them knew the match was taking place and I was 300-400
    yards away from the venue!
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 14:10
    @mchill said
    This 2018 world chess championship match has had a notable lack of controversies, organizational mishaps, petty squabbling, accusations of cheating, and other distractions that have marred other world championship events going back decades. The same can be said for the Olympic Games of London in 2012. The world should take notice of this. The Brit's do it better! 🙂
    It's true, if there's one thing the English are good at it's organising an event. In politics they can't organise a stag do in a brewery (let alone a graceful departure), their revolutions are notoriously ramshackle (they needed a Dutch king to get one right),, but if there's something oleasant to be got up, the English are who you go to.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 18:081 edit
    @greenpawn34 said
    But the lack of any drama off the board has made this match a bit stale.
    The game needs electronic chairs, yoghurt, defectors and players with
    weak bladders to get the media hyped up and the game onto the front pages.

When I was in London and chatting to punters in the net café, not
    one of them knew the match was taking place and I was 300-400
    yards away from the venue!
    But the lack of any drama off the board has made this match a bit stale. The game needs electronic chairs, yoghurt, defectors and players with weak bladders to get the media hyped up and the game onto the front pages.

I get it. You'd like to see wins on both sides, and some spicy sub plots to follow, but this is still an improvement over Fischer's silly antics in Iceland, Korchnoi's paranoia over some idiot staring at him, and The first Karpov - Kasparov match featuring lots of semi - legal maneuverings behind the scenes. I'm happy with some high quality chess (even if they are draws) and less melodrama.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree