Still got a lot to learn

Standard memberRemoved
Only Chess 21 Mar '19 17:53
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 17:531 edit
    You ever just see a pattern and think, "Oh, that's winning on the spot," and think nothing of it? Well, I should've done a tiny bit more thinking. Completely missed the check on e3 and I have no idea how.
    Edit: I was playing black
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 08:54
    @astalliana said
    You ever just see a pattern and think, "Oh, that's winning on the spot," and think nothing of it? Well, I should've done a tiny bit more thinking. Completely missed the check on e3 and I have no idea how.
    Edit: I was playing black [pgn]1. d4 g6 2. c4 Bf8g7 3. e4 c5 4. d5 d6 5. Ng1f3 Ng8f6 6. Nb1c3 O-O 7. h3 e6 8. Bf1d3 exd5 9. cxd5 Nb8d7 10. Nc3b5 Nd7b6 11. O-O Rf8e8 12. ...[text shortened]... 8a8 Na4xc3 33. Bb7xa6 Nc3e2 34. Kg1h2 Qd7d1 35. Qa8xe8 Kg8g7 36. Qe8e5 Kg7h6 37. Qe5e3 Kh6g7 *[/pgn]
    Still got a lot to learn

As long as you think this way, you'll get better. It's the folks that think they know it all that don't improve.
    🙂
  3. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    25 Mar '19 18:151 edit
    @Astalliana

Up a piece and I would have traded down to a simple endgame. Or at least tried to. I'm boring that way. I looked for better moves but I failed to find anything better.
    Although I would not have given up my dark square bishop like you did. Yes you won the exchange but that bishop was a more powerful and active piece.

Was that a Benoni defense?
    Interesting game but too crazy for my tastes. It's hard to understand the ideas and strategies of those hypermodern/dynamic openings.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Mar '19 22:001 edit
    @Astalliana

Or

5. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    27 Mar '19 02:13
    Classical openings/defenses offer better games. That whole hypermodern/dynamic openings/defenses are for masters to play around with.

Just my opinion.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Mar '19 10:41
    @chessturd said
    Classical openings/defenses offer better games. That whole hypermodern/dynamic openings/defenses are for masters to play around with.

Just my opinion.
    I would recommend beginners to learn the classical openings first, Scotch, Four Knights, Spanish, QGD, etc., to master the basics of piece development and mobility, and move on to hypermodern ideas later.
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    27 Mar '19 11:03
    @moonbus said
    I would recommend beginners to learn the classical openings first, Scotch, Four Knights, Spanish, QGD, etc., to master the basics of piece development and mobility, and move on to hypermodern ideas later.
    Any suggested openings for beginners while playing Black? I'm getting bored with the Sicilian and Scandinavian Defenses.
  8. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    27 Mar '19 14:44
    @wolfe63 said
    Any suggested openings for beginners while playing Black? I'm getting bored with the Sicilian and Scandinavian Defenses.
    have you tried symmetrical openings?
  9. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    27 Mar '19 16:38
    @ketchuplover said
    have you tried symmetrical openings?
    Like "mirror moves"?
    If so, no I haven't.
    Is there an advantage? Sounds like a drawish strategy on its surface.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Mar '19 17:36
    @chessturd said
    @Astalliana

Up a piece and I would have traded down to a simple endgame. Or at least tried to. I'm boring that way. I looked for better moves but I failed to find anything better.
    Although I would not have given up my dark square bishop like you did. Yes you won the exchange but that bishop was a more powerful and active piece.

Was that a Benoni defense?
    Interesting ...[text shortened]... r my tastes. It's hard to understand the ideas and strategies of those hypermodern/dynamic openings.
    I'm not sure about the dark square bishop. I think it's much more clear of a win once you go straight up a piece instead of two pieces for the rook. It's debatable whether my bishop was better for my position than his rook was for his position. He doesn't have a dark square bishop of his own, so my dark squares aren't very easily exploited. Taking more pieces away from him makes it harder to defend.

The basic idea of the opening is to try and ruin white's center as soon as possible. I think it leads to some fun games. I wouldn't call it the absolute best way to play, but it's not like losing on the spot or anything. As for the name, I'm not the best to ask. Modern opening I guess.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Mar '19 12:43
    @wolfe63 said
    I suggest you familiarize yourself with the Four Knights, Giuoco Piano, and Petrof openings, for both Black and White. These will give you a good grounding in basic opening strategies.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Apr '19 22:04
    @wolfe63 said
    As long as you don't mind losing (really this is important with this one) but do like tactical games then 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 f5?! is fun and poses white some unusual problems. This is an example that went well for me:

13. Joined
    23 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 Apr '19 06:19
    Just from my personal experience, if your opponent plays a hypermodern, then grab the center, but play defensively at first. Don't use it as an open invitation to attack early in the game.

The whole point of a hypermodern is to allow your opponent to get a strong center, then attack it. But it ends up being a dance around the center, so don't be afraid to take the center if your opponent lets you.
    The only suggestion I have is this with hypermodern games: make sure at least one file is open early, or else the game can get hopelessly bogged down. It either becomes a draw, or your opponent will figure out how to sac a piece to open a file to thier advantage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree