1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 06:522 edits
    OMG - this is exactly what I'm doing! It might bore some of you, but I was mesmerized and inspired by the simplicity of it all.

Set up the position, find your best answer, write it down.

Correct? - Move on to the next exercise.

Incorrect? - Play through the correct answer on the board 1-2 times so you remember it. Move on to the next exercise.

Strong players do this on a regular basis. I like that 3/4 size board too. 🙂

YouTube&t=483s

Her name is Alexandra Samaganova
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 13:30
    @mchill

Now I can see why I will never be very good at chess. I find no enjoyment at all in jotting down notes in a notebook. I find it irritating.

My wife, on the other hand, loves writing stuff down and making lists. She will never get any good at chess because she has no interest in playing chess.

If I was introduced to chess by watching that video, I would have never put any time into trying to understand any aspect of the game.

Thanks for showing this, it helps me to understand what it takes to get much better. Not for me.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 14:132 edits
    @eladar said
    @mchill

Now I can see why I will never be very good at chess. I find no enjoyment at all in jotting down notes in a notebook. I find it irritating.

My wife, on the other hand, loves writing stuff down and making lists. She will never get any good at chess because she has no interest in playing chess.

If I was introduced to chess by watching that video, I would have ...[text shortened]...

Thanks for showing this, it helps me to understand what it takes to get much better. Not for me.
    Thanks for showing this, it helps me to understand what it takes to get much better.

Your welcome.

I thought I would be bored doing this too, but after trying it out as an experiment for a few hours, I was surprised at how much this training technique resembles a live OTB tournament.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 14:49
    @mchill

I only play fast games even when playing against people otb. I have never played in an actual tournament, let alone a game that is set for more than 10 minutes.
  5. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 08:39
    @mchill

I do the same method when I play through complete games but I do one extra step.

If I get the move correct I move on to the next one.
    If I get it wrong I figure out why their move was better.
    Then I figure out why my move was bad.
    Sometimes I can't figure out why mine was wrong but over time as I have gotten stronger I get more of them right and after seeing the correct answer it sometimes helps to figure out why mine was bad.

Slow and steady wins the race 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree