for inducting Susan Polgar 🙁
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 17:091 edit
    @ketchuplover said
    Her odious personality aside, isn't an HOF for significant players of the game?

That's what I think anyway. HOFs shouldn't be only for likeable people.

The baseball HOF repeats this error with Pete Rose.

Edit: should Bobby Fischer be in the US chess HOF, given his mental illness and many ugly statements in the press?
  3. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 20:02
    Susan Polgar has done more for women's chess in the US than anyone in history. For that, she should be in the US Chess Hall of Fame. Her less than savory activities should be prominently displayed as well so people understand that many people are flawed.

NB: Pete Rose and Barry Bonds should similarly be in the baseball HOF. Great baseball players both.
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '19
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 20:50
    She has done a lot to bring super hot chicks to chess. I'm glad they forgave her and let her in the Chess HoF
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 18:18
    @ketchuplover said
    I wouldn't worry about it. That's about on the same level as an Oscar. 3 weeks from now who's going to remember?
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 21:07
    I hate to sound ignorant but I don't keep up with chess superstars very much.
    What exactly is the problem associated with Susan Polgar?
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '19
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 21:45
    Emails.

Just like Clinton!
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 22:29
    @mwmiller said
    I hate to sound ignorant but I don't keep up with chess superstars very much.
    What exactly is the problem associated with Susan Polgar?
    I used to play on US chess live years ago. Her and her husband took over the site and began picking fights with people. They acted as authoritarians and censored people who criticized anything about them.
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '19
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 23:03
    What she sees in Paul Truong is beyond my comprehension 🤔
  10. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    19 Mar '19 23:22
    She's hardly milking it at all:
    https://www.facebook.com/paul.truong.1466
  11. Joined
    15 Feb '19
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 07:422 edits
    @ketchuplover
    You have a right to it but I personally think it's a ridiculous statement and opinion. Of course Susan Polgar should be in the Chess Hall of Fame. She been one of chess' great stories and an epic player. And hopefully yours isn't the kind of reactionary conservatism regarding male gender superiority and sometimes even all out women hating, which, since returning to chess after a 25 year hiatus and having lived in a much more enlightened and reasonable world, I've been sadly amazed to find seems a not small portion of the overall chess community - or at least a very vocal one. Enough, almost, to turn one off chess.
  12. Joined
    15 Feb '19
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 07:514 edits
    @BigDoggProblem
    It's amazing that anyone could even question whether Bobby Fischer should be in the Chess Hall of Fame. And regarding your statements about Polgars personality (which is just fine to anyone who isn't a sad sap with a desperate need to keep shoring up a framework of male superiority) and mental illness keeping people out of the HoF, I sense a very rigid personality... and not a very pleasant one. Under your rules that leaves you out of eligibility.
  13. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 10:09
    The dislike that many people have for Susan Polgar and her husband is nothing to do with her gender, it's because of her horrible bullying personality and habit of rewriting history. I hope you have heard about the reason she and Truong got kicked out of the USCF several years ago for, not to put too fine a point on it, lying through their teeth. I think that the fact that she has earned the right to be in the chess "Hall of Fame" (do any countries apart from the USA have this concept?) shows that the whole idea of a hall of fame is bad.

My favourite sport is boxing and I would guess that at least 50% of the boxers who get elected to the boxing hall of fame are pretty repugnant characters when you look closely at their behaviour outside the ring. The other problem is that there have to be new people being inducted every year - after a few years the list of possible candidates becomes more and more difficult to fill and the idea of it being for the sport's elite becomes very diluted.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 19:54
    @americalost said
    @BigDoggProblem
    It's amazing that anyone could even question whether Bobby Fischer should be in the Chess Hall of Fame. And regarding your statements about Polgars personality (which is just fine to anyone who isn't a sad sap with a desperate need to keep shoring up a framework of male superiority) and mental illness keeping people out of the HoF, I sense a very rigid personality... and not a very pleasant one. Under your rules that leaves you out of eligibility.
    You've got some work to do on this trolling persona. It's a bit too obvious.
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 23:11
    @BigDoggProblem

Ha ha I was thinking the same thing! AmericaLost seems obsessed with the gender thing, even as no one else in the thread seems to consider that a factor. Too funny!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree