1. Joined
    11 Sep '19
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 05:347 edits
    I'm new to chess and this forum. I've purchased a few books for beginners but really need to obtain a full chess set to proceed further.

As much as I'd like a high-quality vintage wooden set and board, it seems to me I'd be better served at this stage by buying a nice quality plastic set with algebraic notation on the board for the ranks and files. I'm not seeking rock-bottom cheap pieces and a flimsy board. Nor do I think it wise for me to purchase an expensive set at this time.

Can the members provide some recommendations? Re: shipping concerns, I live in the USA.
    Also, I want to clarify and listen to experienced players - what your thoughts about this review, can I trust them?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 06:063 edits
    @chessymessy said
    I'm new to chess and this forum. I've purchased a few books for beginners but really need to obtain a full chess set to proceed further.

As much as I'd like a high-quality vintage wooden set and board, it seems to me I'd be better served at this stage by buying a nice quality plastic set with algebraic notation on the board for the ranks and files. I'm not seeking rock s review, can I trust them?

Thanks in advance.
    The USCF is a decent place to start. Yes - a good quality plastic tournament set is the way to go. Some reasonably priced sets are in the links below. You can also customize things a bit by buying your pieces and board separately. Shipping info and prices are included. JMHO - Stick with green and white or brown and white squares on your board, exotic colors can be a bit distracting.

Welcome to the 64 square universe. Good luck! 🙂

https://www.uscfsales.com/chess-sets/tournament-chess-sets/the-chess-players-combination-single-weighted-color.html

https://www.uscfsales.com/chess-sets/tournament-chess-sets/us-chess-supreme-chess-set-combination.html

https://www.uscfsales.com/chess-sets/tournament-chess-sets/deluxe-chess-set-combination-and-single-weighted-regulation-pieces-vinyl-chessboard-deluxe-bag-16192.html
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 06:23
    @mchill said
    The USCF is a decent place to start. Yes - a good quality plastic tournament set is the way to go. Some high quality but reasonably priced sets are in the links below. Shipping info and prices are included. JMHO - Stick with green and white or brown and white squares on your board, exotic colors can be a bit distracting.

Welcome to the 64 square universe. Good luck! 🙂

h ...[text shortened]... e-chess-set-combination-and-single-weighted-regulation-pieces-vinyl-chessboard-deluxe-bag-16192.html
    Along with these, I recommend a nice vinyl roll-up board, the kind you see at local tournaments. The squares are large enough to handle a good-sized 3.5 inch weighted plastic set. I have a couple of these, and with a nice nylon carrier, they are quite portable, with room for a clock as well.

And yes, go with a standard green-and-buff color for the board. You can get these with or without notation on the sides.
  4. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 14:48
    wholesalechess dot com tends to be cheaper than the USCF.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Sep '19 06:061 edit
    @byedidia
    From that website I see one, listed under plastic chess sets, scroll down to #4, Triple weighted plastic set with a vinyl roll up board for about 18 dollars. Pretty good price for a set you can study with and take to any tournament if you want to play at that level when you learn enough.
    BTW, welcome to Red Hot Pawn. Good luck in your chess development.
    That said, the best way to learn is to join a local chess club, not sure where you live but it would be good for you to find at least local players and a club if possible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree