1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 09:081 edit
    My last OTB tournament was over 20 years ago, a bitter experience where financial pressures, sleep and family issues combined for a pathetic performance. This was 100% my fault - using chess as a temporary escape from one's problems may work for some, but not for me. It's taken a long time to get over this, but feel I'm ready to dip my toe back in the OTB world again after 2 decades of correspondence chess, so after some research there are 2 choices:

1. $60.00 / month for membership to my local chess club, 1 round of tournament play every Friday + casual play on Tuesday. Competition is 15-20 middle aged all male duffers (like me) strength range from 1200-2200 (USCF)

2. $300.00 - $600.00 each for 2-3 large swiss tournaments each year i.e. State class championships, regional and large city wide tournaments (prices include tournament fees, travel, hotel and food) Competition is a wide variety of young and old M and F. Strength range from beginner to I.M. (Occasional G.M.)

So - should one go with the cheaper, stable (but sometimes dull) option #1, or the more thrilling but expensive option #2.

Thoughts?
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 11:16
    @mchill

Wow $60 per month for your chess club?? 😳 Can't imagine they have many members!

Leaving money aside, i would say that playing for a chess club is a real joy. Being a member of a team, having other players to discuss games / ideas / etc has had a hugely positive effect on my play and how i feel about the game. I am lucky to be a member of a large club, which has a lot of opportunities for games. This isn't always the case, but If i had to choose between playing for a club or just entering tournaments, i would definitely choose the club option without any question.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 13:25
    @marinkatomb said
    @mchill

Leaving money aside, i would say that playing for a chess club is a real joy. Being a member of a team, having other players to discuss games / ideas / etc has had a hugely positive effect on my play and how i feel about the game. I am lucky to be a member of a large club, which ...[text shortened]... a club or just entering tournaments, i would definitely choose the club option without any question.
    Wow $60 per month for your chess club??

NO - I was supposed to write 60 per year, but it was too late to edit when I discovered my error. I had a feeling someone would jump on that.
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 13:34
    @mchill
    Yeh that sounds more like it! Tbh, why don't you do both? Play one less swiss and you get the best of both worlds.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Sep '19 17:41
    @marinkatomb said
    @mchill

Leaving money aside, i would say that playing for a chess club is a real joy. Being a member of a team, having other players to discuss games / ideas / etc has had a hugely positive effect on my play and how i feel about the game. I am lucky to be a member of a large club, which ...[text shortened]... a club or just entering tournaments, i would definitely choose the club option without any question.
    Thank You - Good advice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree