1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Nov '21 06:553 edits
    Just finished competing in the Oregon Class Championships. My 1st OTB event since 1992. 18 months of home prep. helped me avoid total humiliation, but it was a rather humbling experience nonetheless. I haven't yet mastered the details of setting electronic clocks with 10 second time delays, nor was I prepared to meet one bright eyed child after another, all of whom I'm convinced have been plugged into a chess computer since birth. 2 wins out of 5 in the 1400 - 1600 class, is NOT something I'm proud of, since my peak OTB rating was once in the lower 1700's, but is definitely something to build on. Need to master the clock mystery, how to use Stockfish to analyze my completed live games, as well as how to deal with kingside attacks coming from little tot's who spend half of their allotted game clock playing with their shoelaces.

One thing has become very clear. I haven't been playing enough live games, instead focusing on my tactics book, but that's an easy fix. Not sure if I want to pay for 3 nights stay at the Bellevue Hilton and enter the Washington Class Championships later this month, but this experience in Oregon was fascinating. In future OTB events the kids will discover this old dog still knows how to hunt! 🙂
  2. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    09 Nov '21 12:01
    @mchill

The old 2 out of 5...Doom and Gloom.
    I remember those days 😄
    I think with older people they just have to get the rust off so I think you should go to that next tournament.
  3. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    09 Nov '21 13:12
    @mchill

If you're inclined to post any of the games, I'd be glad to take a quick look and provide some comments.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Nov '21 14:251 edit
    @fmdavidhlevin said
    @mchill

If you're inclined to post any of the games, I'd be glad to take a quick look and provide some comments.

Many thanks for your generous offer, yes, I would welcome your comments. It's a helpless feeling seeing a kingside attack coming, and not knowing what to do about it. I'll post them in a few days perhaps.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Nov '21 14:44
    @contenchess said
    @mchill

The old 2 out of 5...Doom and Gloom.
    I remember those days 😄
    I think with older people they just have to get the rust off so I think you should go to that next tournament.

I'm leaning in that direction myself, sometimes improvement involves forgetting one's cherished rating, and jumping into the rough and tumble of tournament play.
  6. Leeds, England
    Moves
    18 Nov '21 19:09
    Well done for entering after such a long break.
    I think you should continue to play OTB and see how it goes.
  7. Llandudno
    Moves
    23 Dec '21 08:28
    @mchill
    Your games sound interesting, indulge us please.
    Regards Tim

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree