1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Jan '19 21:26
    Many times in tournament play my opponent and myself manage the opening well, pieces are developed, kings castled, rooks connected, position even, no obvious weaknesses to exploit in the opponent's camp, and book theory is exhausted etc.

What now??

If I were in a snarky mood, I say something like: "Now you have to think!" While this is true enough, I often wonder how others here proceed when there seems to be no good moves, and no clear attacking chances for either side, as the opening ends, and the middle game begins.

Any thoughts??
  2. Joined
    29 Jan '19
    Moves
    29 Jan '19 21:47
    Lasker's manual is 100 years old but it is still good. He explained that you attack the weakness in your opponents position. Finding that weakness is the hard part. All of this seems obvious and it is obvious but hard to do.
    The book is cheap but good.
  3. Joined
    29 Jan '19
    Moves
    29 Jan '19 21:58
    I'm only 1600 like you so I have the same problem.
  4. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    30 Jan '19 03:47
    There are a lot of helpful books on the subject, one already mentioned, but I often find it helpful to run down a list of prioritized considerations. Even if it's not enumerated so strictly, there's a process we all use to make our next move. When there's not an obvious move that seems exciting, as you've described, I try to address this list more deliberately. In particular, I often find that there's a piece I'd rather reposition, or a pawn break I can work towards. Increasing my intentionality can force me into a move. It's not the most clear advice, I suppose, but maybe it's useful.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    30 Jan '19 13:24
    @mchill said
    Many times in tournament play my opponent and myself manage the opening well, pieces are developed, kings castled, rooks connected, position even, no obvious weaknesses to exploit in the opponent's camp, and book theory is exhausted etc.

What now??

If I were in a snarky mood, I say something like: "Now you have to think!" While this is true enough, I often wonder how oth ...[text shortened]... tacking chances for either side, as the opening ends, and the middle game begins.

Any thoughts??
    I agree with you.Without having a photographic memory for lots of positions you have to rely on gut feelings I think.When you read the chess columns they say things like "in 1857 in this position such and such played ne6 or something which to me is totally unhelpful.
    I just tend to try and work out what my opponent is planning, if there are any weaknesses(backward pawns, blocked in bishops etc)and try to exploit them or rectify them if they're my weaknesses.
    There's also standard things like putting rooks on semi open files, not over exposing your king and not attacking too early but as you say , not easy.
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    30 Jan '19 14:29
    Perhaps we need to start looking for weaknesses on the furthest rank and move back towards us.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Jan '19 14:42
    @mchill
    The best weaknesses to exploit are the ones that are NOT obvious. Among other things, it adds surprise to your quiver of arrows.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 14:16
    @mchill

You will find the answer to your question in Herman Grooten's "Chess Strategy for Club Players."
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 15:24
    @moonbus said
    @mchill

You will find the answer to your question in Herman Grooten's "Chess Strategy for Club Players."
    Thank You. I'll give it a try. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree