1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Mar '20 21:282 edits
    Being an organizational geek, I'm constantly seeking to be more efficient, with this in mind, I've rediscovered a low tech idea for one's tournament prep, and chess reference material, *NOTE* This is for players who prefer to study with chess sets as opposed to computers:

If you're like most chess players you no doubt have a variety of literature, i.e. Informants, chess magazines, books, computer database of games etc. If for example, your weapon of choice against e4 is the French (C11 - C19 ECO) you might consider starting an old fashioned card file system like this: 1. Gather all your French C11 games together, start by playing over one game to make sure there are no typo errors, then copy that game on to a 5X8 card, then placing that card in your file box, continue doing this until you have all your C11's played through, copied and filed, then proceed to the C 12's etc. You can do the same with your defence against d4, and your chosen opening for white. This will take time of course, but once done, you will not only have played over all relevant games in your literature, but they'll be no more trying to hold a book open with one hand, and move the pieces with the other, waiting for your computer to boot up, pop up ads, searching through books and magazines for relevant material, etc. You can make your reference card library as large or small as you wish. -This is not for everyone of course- but I'm finding that just putting this system in place is not only very enjoyable, but can further one's chess education, as well keeping your reference material organized, efficient and easy to access. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree