1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 03:201 edit
    Hello - In the the back of most (if not all) Informants their is a series of middlegame problems called "combinations" i.e. Combinations with mating attack, Combinations to reach a draw etc. My question is. Does anyone know of a book or online site with more of these types exercises?
  2. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 05:36
    @mchill
    Modern Chess Tactics - Ludek Pachman. Translated by P.N. Clarke, olde text 1973.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 11:26
    @mchill said
    Hello - In the the back of most (if not all) Informants their is a series of middlegame problems called "combinations" i.e. Combinations with mating attack, Combinations to reach a draw etc. My question is. Does anyone know of a book or online site with more of these types exercises?
    The book I have to hand is "Pick of the Best Chess Problems." compiled by B.P.Barnes ISBN 0-7160-2002-5. The printing is from 1991 so I don't know if it's even still in print. They're all Meredith problems, white to play and mate in two with between 8 and 12 pieces. Here's the first one from the book:

The caption underneath is "Ladies First" and it was composed by Mrs. W.J. Baird and first appeared in Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News in 1902.

John Nunn had produced a collection of tactical problems as has Judith (Susan?) Polgar. So if you search on Amazon for their books you'll definitely find a collection.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree