1. West Coast
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 05:04
    Hi, how do you train middlegames in general besides solving tactics and studying openings (with accompanying Grandmaster games) that have specific middlegame themes? I know that Chessbase has a collection of middlegame (strategy) topics, is that what I should be studying? I know there is also stuff like The Complete Manual of Positional Chess. But has anyone here had their coach train them in the middlegame in any specific fashion? FYI I am a 2000 USCF so I am looking for training advice more than like "principles to get me started." Thanks for any help you can give me!
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 12:07
    The advice I read was to study end games. The idea was that it allowed you to know where you wanted to end up or the end game you want to avoid.

You did not mention it so figured I would.
  3. West Coast
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 02:26
    @Eladar

That is good advice I agree. I notice that any endgame virtuoso like Magnus Carlsen has an endgame with more chances to apply pressure to begin with, which stems from the middlegame. Thanks.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 12:41
    @drakeglider said
    Hi, how do you train middlegames in general besides solving tactics and studying openings (with accompanying Grandmaster games) that have specific middlegame themes? I know that Chessbase has a collection of middlegame (strategy) topics, is that what I should be studying? I know there is also stuff like The Complete Manual of Positional Chess. But has anyone here had thei ...[text shortened]... training advice more than like "principles to get me started." Thanks for any help you can give me!
    John Watson has written some good books on this aspect of the game. They pick up where Nimzovitch's _My System_ left off.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    22 Aug '19 13:391 edit
    @drakeglider said
    Hi, how do you train middlegames in general besides solving tactics and studying openings (with accompanying Grandmaster games) that have specific middlegame themes? I know that Chessbase has a collection of middlegame (strategy) topics, is that what I should be studying? I know there is also stuff like The Complete Manual of Positional Chess. But has anyone here had thei ...[text shortened]... training advice more than like "principles to get me started." Thanks for any help you can give me!
    This is an area where a chess coach can be a big help. Middlegame skill is mostly about pattern recognition, and a good coach show can you how to spot specific middlegame patterns or themes, and use them your advantage. Books can help up to a point, but they cannot give you specific advice on your own situation. Having a really strong player critique your completed games will keep you from making the same mistakes time and again.
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Aug '19 14:091 edit
    @drakeglider said
    Have you tried chessable?

https://www.chessable.com/

Click courses at the top. Basically you can train with books without all the fuss getting pieces out.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Aug '19 17:18
    @drakeglider said
    Make sure you understand isolated queen's pawn positions and the related position where the c and d pawns form an isolated pawn island. There's a book by Dražen Marović called Understanding Pawn Play in Chess published by Gambit which I found helpful.
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Aug '19 21:30
    if you've ever played against a computer you will notice that they never leave a piece unprotected and only rarely when it's not attacked.
    This is one of the things I check for on here when I open up a game i.e are any of my pieces "hanging" as the experts call it.
    If an opponent can't see anything to attack he will possibly just make a pointless move which you can then exploit.
    Not a recognised strategy I know but just another possible tactic.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Aug '19 22:141 edit
    @moonbus
    I really ticked Watson off when I met him and he suggested an endgame book and I didn't take him up on them, bought something else instead and I saw the steam coming out his ears! I should have taken him up on his suggestions and maybe I would be better than just a 1700 player now. I think my USCF rating is something like 1720 or so. Ah. Found it, 1732. Sigh. Not too great. That's funny, my rating here is 1734😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree