1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Dec '19 23:05
    Just looking for input here, but when you folks watch youtube or other media chess lessons such as the two I posted below, do you set up your board and physically move the pieces, or just watch? Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but if one is gearing up for a return to OTB play, I'm wondering if one would remember these lessons longer if there was some physical action connected to them. - Thoughts??

YouTube

YouTube
  2. SubscriberRagwortonline
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    28 Dec '19 09:42
    @mchill

The in house trainers at the organisation for whom I worked before retiring were sold on the learning style wheel by David Kolb i.e: Concrete Experience -> Reflective Observation -> Abstract Conceptualisation -> Active Experimentation. They coupled this to Honey and Mumford tests which identified four types of learner Activist, Pragmatist, Reflector and Theorist.
    The theory is that if you know which type of learner you are you could go to the type of learning experience most likely to bring effective results. Thus the answer to your question may be different for each individual. Of course education theory will have moved on in the meantime...

One amusing anecdote. A former OTB clubmate who returned to OTB after years on the internet told me that at he first liked to stand over the board so it looked more like a diagram before he got his eye in so to speak. Clearly for him things were very visual ... or he was teasing - you decide.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree