1. e4
    Moves
    10 Jun '21 09:00

A look at Edward Lasker book ‘The Complete Self Tutor.’
    and the ‘Warlock of Fire Top Mountain’ Fighting Fantasy.

A position RHP players are resigning in for no good reason.
    One RHP game showing where they resigned and one RHP
    game showing a counter trap that could have won the game.
    Then a trip on the good ship Lollipop as I analyse the position.

An Unheard Melody featuring one of my OTB games.

Oh, I almost forgot. A picture of two Bishops in a Bottle.
    Blog Post 485
  2. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    10 Jun '21 15:56
    @greenpawn34

Another good blog GP and the second in a row where you have mentioned someone I have played in the real world! 👍
  3. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    10 Jun '21 16:04
    Most enjoyable, Mr. Chandler!

Thank you.
  4. e4
    Moves
    10 Jun '21 16:27
    Thank you Liljo and Ragwort.

I'm sure we would love top know Ragwort who these players are and if possible
    the games. I love it how a simple post by me can unearth such things and games
    that perhaps would otherwise never be seen. But of course if you wish to remain
    in peace and not reveal your name then I can understand and do not have a problem with that.

I met briefly Steve Jackson who did the Fantasy Books in the 80's when he was up in Edinburgh.
  5. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    10 Jun '21 18:511 edit
    @greenpawn34

In the last blog you showed a friendly game involving Paul Habershon who I played in a Bedfordshire League game back in 2014. He was typically rated 30-40 ecf points higher than me at the time. The game followed a variation of the alekhine's defence which I had trialled on RHP the year before in Game 9804905. The game was exciting to play with sacrifices offered and both kings under attack. I was white.

At the end there was time pressure and a number of people stood around the board. I was threatened with mate in two down the h file by Qh3+ so offered the draw. Afterwards attention focussed on whether 29. Be3 d5 30. Rb1 would win for white. The computer confirms that should but it is not at all straight forward.

I also played a Hamilton McMillan by post in the 1990's. I'm making the assumption he is the same as your guy. I resigned the game after dropping a pawn. I do treasure some of my old postal games from the 1980's and 90's because I played people like Michael J Franklin for example. No doubt he spent more time on walking to the postbox to post his move than he did contemplating it given the pedestrian (sic) manner of his win but he puts me within "a handshake" of the likes of Hugh Alexander and others including your Mr Aitken who he played in the 1950's.
  6. e4
    Moves
    11 Jun '21 18:02
    @Ragwort

Hamilton McMillan had his obituary in The Times.

Hamilton McMillan OBE, CMG, intelligence officer, was born October 28, 1946. He died of heart disease on April 20, 2021, aged 74"

More here: https://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11802#p266829

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree