1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 19:081 edit
    Just looked at Greenpawn's latest blog.
    Very good (as ever) with humour and instruction.
    There were quite a few comments like n--nn and it's a draw.
    I'm certainly not accomplished enough to recognise when a game is a draw this far out.
    I was wondering in these situations,how many moves in advance one has to calculate to reach this conclusion?
    Obviously it will differ from game to game but generally speaking?
  2. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    ๐Ÿค” Bolton
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 19:33
    @venda said
    I'm certainly not accomplished enough to recognise when a game is a draw this far out.
    I was wondering in these situations,how many moves in advance one has to calculate to reach this conclusion?
    For what it's worth venda - Best play by force (Q.E.D.), how far can you see?
    Do you know the abilities/qualities of your opponent?
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 13:111 edit
    @hells-caretaker said
    For what it's worth venda - Best play by force (Q.E.D.), how far can you see?
    Do you know the abilities/qualities of your opponent?
    I suppose you get a "feel" for your opponents abilities during the game so the answer is yes.
    One thing I do know is that you can't take any notice of the current ratings on here but that's another issue.
    As for how far I can see -not very far I'm afraid unless I use the analyze board and try stuff which I don't really like to do as I'd rather play as if I was OTB
  4. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 14:17
    @venda said
    I suppose you get a "feel" for your opponents abilities during the game so the answer is yes.
    One thing I do know is that you can't take any notice of the current ratings on here but that's another issue.
    As for how far I can see -not very far I'm afraid unless I use the analyze board and try stuff which I don't really like to do as I'd rather play as if I was OTB
    so do you have a real set in front of you when deciding moves?
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 18:06
    @ogb said
    so do you have a real set in front of you when deciding moves?
    No.
    I don't really see the point.
    I do look at the board on the screen for quite a while though.
  6. Joined
    08 Feb '18
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 20:05
    @venda
    I like your style. I must admit I do use analysis although not always effectively, still make stupid mistakes and miss things. Is it possible to play with a real time clock?
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 21:281 edit
    @venda said
    Sometimes no calculation is necessary at all. For instance, technical endgame knowledge can make one aware of the draw, regardless of moves.

For example, give White a dark squared bishop and an a-pawn to go with his king, and place Black's king on a8. No matter where the the White king and bishop are, we instantly know the position is drawn simply because of the position of the Black king- White's bishop is the wrong color.

In rook endings with rook and pawn vs rook, knowledge of the Lucena position and the Philidor position also allow an easy assessment of win or draw with only a quick glance at the board.

Sometimes calculation is needed, but knowledge of technical endings is an easy shortcut.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 06:431 edit
    @venda said
    As Paul said, it’s seldom about calculating moves in advance, though there are simplified positions (kings and pawns only) where counting tells you who promotes first.

It is much more about recognizing patterns and fields of force.

Reti recounts an anecdote as follows: several strong players were analyzing an endgame position in the anteroom of a tournament, moving pieces about and trying to find the winning line — that is, the typical amateur’s thought-mode of calculating move by move forwards. Reti relates that Capa came into the room, barely glanced at the board, then arranged the pieces in some quite definite position and said “This is the winning position.” Reti was stunned and of course Capa was right. The point being, you often have to think backwards in chess: once you see what the winning position is, you fill in the gaps how to get there later. Kasparov makes a similar point in his book Deep Thinking.

And yes, GP’s blog is terrific. One of those elementary patterns one must know, like the Lucena position or Philidor’s famous mate with a queen sac on g8 and a knight move to f7.
  9. e4
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 12:03

The blog challenge I give myself, find a good OTB game then RHP
    examples is enjoyable. Often I stumble over wee gems for a later date.

Saying an ending is a draw is easier and often more correct than declaring
    a middlegame drawn. I'm on safe ground if it is a technical draw which should
    be known or picked up along the way as you go along without ever studying endings.

Technique can be taught and memorised. When you show a beginner how to mate
    with a King and Queen, that is technique. After mastering it they could mate Carlsen.

As for seeing ahead. Here (white to play)

You count the pawn moves, spot the skewer, then visualise the final mate.

The final mating pattern which can appear on any edge square.

You are seeing, at a glance, about 15-16 moves ahead.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 15:24
    @greenpawn34

In a position like the one diagrammed, counting, rather than trying to visualize I-go-here-he-goes-there-then-I-go-HERE-and-he-goes-THERE, is essential. With white to move, it is four to promotion, also four to promotion for black--which means that the white queen will have the move and black's king will be on the same file as black's new queen. Skewer! No need to calculate the rest.

However, if black to move, then black promotes first and can move the newly promoted pawn (Q) first, checking the white king instead of vv. Elementary counting, no wizardry involved.
  11. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    ๐Ÿค” Bolton
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 16:54
    @Paul-Leggett

๐Ÿ‘ Good post
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 03:58
    @hells-caretaker said
    @Paul-Leggett

๐Ÿ‘ Good post
    Blind squirrel finds nut!
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 06:40
    @phillbo said
    @venda
    I like your style. I must admit I do use analysis although not always effectively, still make stupid mistakes and miss things. Is it possible to play with a real time clock?
    At the top of the screen there's an icon which says Blitz. Try clicking on it.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 16:57
    @paul-leggett said
    Blind squirrel finds nut!
    The nose knows.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 16:57
    @deepthought said
    At the top of the screen there's an icon which says Blitz. Try clicking on it.
    Now there's a fun prank to play on people! ๐Ÿ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree