1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Aug '20 17:14
    @greenpawn34

It makes no difference what colors the pieces or the squares are. They could be violet and pale green, just so long they were distinguishable.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Aug '20 13:04
    @sundown316 said
    @greenpawn34I agree that the Exchange Variation is White's best choice vs. the French
    The exchange variation was a good choice in the mid-19th Century for an open player like Morphy, but since at least half way through the 20th Century it's hopeless as a way of winning a game. White can't expect anything more than a draw. Against sub-2,000 players it's fine as they're going to make at least three blunders in a game (I should know πŸ˜›) but against the top players white may as well hold up a sign saying: "I'm happy with a draw!".
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Aug '20 14:29
    @greenpawn34 said
    HI sundown316,

I think the Staunton at his peak would have given Morphy a good match.
    As Black he would have gone for a French. Morphy always played the exchange
    variation, that would have held no dangers for Staunton. Staunton handled
    the exchange variation in much the same way as Korchnoi...early c5.

If Staunton fancied his chances as Black then the Sicilian. ...[text shortened]... not seem
    too bothered. Steinitz in his 1880's - 'Chess Instructor' said White always goes first.
    Hi greenpawn,

It's worth noting that Staunton developed heart palpitations in his second match against Saint-Amant, and his play went seriously downhill after the game with the swindle below. He died suddenly at his writing desk in 1874 presumably of a heart attack aged 64. In his reply to the New Orleans chess club he pointed out that he hadn't played a competitive game in five years. It was quite clear that he was in no fit state to take on Morphy.

La Bourdonnais' reputation seems to rest on his victory over McDonnell. Chessmetrics only goes back to 1840, but gives the following peak ratings:

Morphy: 2,745
    Staunton: 2,706
    Lowenthal: 2,616
    Saint Amant: 2,603
    Cochrane: 2,571

It doesn't give a rating for La Bourdonnais or McDonnell. I tend to take these figures with a pinch of salt, but it's clear that both Morphy and Staunton were a lot stronger than most of the rest of the players around at the time.

The Saint-Amant - Staunton game was:
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Aug '20 04:54
    @ogb said
    for hundred of years the Black pieces have been denied an equal chance ! Why ? because it is the White pieces who always get to move first !! This is an injustice I can barely deal with. Each time I look at a chess board, my FEELINGS are so compromised !!
    Your thinly veiled political rant is duly noted. Please take it to the debates section. πŸ™„
  5. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    26 Aug '20 15:15
    @mchill said
    Your thinly veiled political rant is duly noted. Please take it to the debates section. πŸ™„
    It's a bit of humor, not political rant..
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 17:45
    Some people are offended by white going first.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 18:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 19:18
    @eladar said
    Some people are offended by white going first.
    Well in 'Go' it is Black that goes first.

If anyone is offended by the colour of a piece that goes first in a board game,
    I would recommend a full frontal lobotomy!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree