1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Aug '22 09:42
    This has always been a mystery to me. Is there enough money available in book deals, tournament prize money and Patrion sites to allow one to pay for food, shelter and clothing? Through the years I've read dozens of articles from I.M.s about regional and national tournaments, on rare occasion they speak of sleeping on someone's couch, in someone's basement or even in a closet during a tournament. I'm sure G.M.s live a little better, but the life of an I.M. sounds like a rough one. Any information would be appreciated.
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Aug '22 11:081 edit
    @mchill said
    This has always been a mystery to me. Is there enough money available in book deals, tournament prize money and Patrion sites to allow one to pay for food, shelter and clothing? Through the years I've read dozens of articles from I.M.s about regional and national tournaments, on rare occasion they speak of sleeping on someone's couch, in someone's basement or even in a closet ...[text shortened]... ittle better, but the life of an I.M. sounds like a rough one. Any information would be appreciated.
    I can only report for a small smaple of german IM's all from whom I know (mostly in the vicinity of Karlsruhe) have a (at least partial) day job and play chess aside.

After looking up a few more German IM's in the wikipedia it seems that this is rather the rule than the exception (working ina bread job and playing chess aside).
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Aug '22 14:59
    Yeah, hard being an IM. Even worse being an FM - most live in a cardboard box. I heard FIDE issues food stamps along with the new title.
  4. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    03 Aug '22 15:16
    https://chesscience.com/chess-grand-masters-how-do-they-make-money-and-how-much/
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Aug '22 16:50
    @ogb said
    https://chesscience.com/chess-grand-masters-how-do-they-make-money-and-how-much/
    That's a level above I.M., though. That said, I think most of the things in there are similar for them, only at a lower level. Teaching, being paid by semi-professional clubs, winning (in their case minor, but still) tournaments, and having second jobs.
    These days, streaming, apparently, but you have to have the personality to pull that off. I certainly wouldn't even if my chess were any good.
  6. Standard memberBeowulf
    Misfit King
    Moves
    04 Aug '22 22:19
    @mchill

How does a 1300 at chess dot com live with himself?

te hee 🤭
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Aug '22 16:28
    @beowulf said
    @mchill

How does a 1300 at chess dot com live with himself?

te hee 🤭
    My OTB skills need improving, no doubt. I've written about them here before, however - what does this have to do with the life of an I.M. ?
  8. e4
    Moves
    05 Aug '22 22:44
    It all depends on your age, IM’s and GM’s are younger these days
    because they still live with mum and dad.
    Over 18 with a job then the time you can devout to the game becomes limited.

You could of course stay unemployed, live on benefit and chess lessons and what
    ever you can pick up on prize money.

You will also need, and this is where most of all you will come unstuck,
    a girlfriend who has a job. Hence the joke...

Q. What do you call am I.M. without a girlfriend?
    A. Homeless.
  9. Standard memberBeowulf
    Misfit King
    Moves
    05 Aug '22 23:23
    @greenpawn34

I'm not an I.M. and I live by that code.

It's Ironclad 💪
  10. Standard memberBeowulf
    Misfit King
    Moves
    05 Aug '22 23:24
    Chess Bums need to survive too 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree