1. Joined
    04 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '19 04:15
    Are there people who teach this game. I have been playing off and on for years, but always remain the same. I am more of a visual learner.
  2. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 03:05
    @CreepingDeath

Hey! I think there are a few basic approaches to getting better, probably the easiest to work on being puzzles for tactical acumen. You can also learn a good amount by going through games, particularly annotated ones. Playing your own games and (crucial!) reviewing them later for mistakes is I think very important. Opening or endgame theory are interesting but sometimes easy to get bogged down on. Lots of ways; likely, anything you do with some intentionality will help!
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 22:211 edit
    @creepingdeath said
    Are there people who teach this game. I have been playing off and on for years, but always remain the same. I am more of a visual learner.
    How do I get better? Hard to answer that one in one sentence, but here are a few ideas:

Learn a lot about the openings you wish to use in tournament play. Study tactics, always a good idea. Have a coach or other strong player go over your games and suggest improvements. Spend some time on chess each day, and most important of all-

Be patient with yourself, strong players don't spring into being overnight. 🙂
  4. e4
    Moves
    29 Jan '19 00:151 edit

Hi CreepingDeath,

If you can join a club and play, play, play.

All clubs will have a resident good guy who can give you one to one pointers.

If you can get your hands on ‘Logical Chess’ by Chernev. You are developing
    OK but have no plan once you have castled. You appear to jump around from
    move to move, there is no rhythm, get ALL the pieces working together.
    (other will come up with other books - I can only tell you what worked for me.)

On your move look at every check and I mean ‘every check’ even the daft crazy
    looking checks. That way you will get spot some of the good shots you miss.

In time you will so used to doing this you will not miss any combinations like this one.

CreepingDeath - gkatesrjr RHP 2019

You had this position with White to play. Check All Checks.

Another example where you missed a good shot involving a check.

CreepingDeath - babadad RHP 2019

You recently lost this game when you better for quite a while.

Sun of Nail - CreepingDeath RHP 2019

5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jan '19 02:261 edit
    @creepingdeath said
    On Lichess there are puzzles as well as folks to play of all levels, you just click on a time, one min, 2+1 second, 3 min and so forth and a game will pop up of a human opponent and the program is set up to roughly match player's ratings.
  6. Joined
    15 Feb '19
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 16:47
    Get better? I tried to study. I did everything for years and years. I tried all kinds of methods. Every type of chess studying you can think of I tried. From 2004 until 2011 I studied and nothing worked. I stayed around a 1200 rating. It depressed me. So in 2011 I got so mad I cursed the chess gods and quit studying. I only played the game. My moves, my wins and losses. Since I did that I have gained 400 rating points in 7 years. I'm 1600 now just from playing. I can't explain it but I will never study chess again. All I do is sit down and play and try hard.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 17:451 edit
    @creepingdeath said
    One thing I found to be helpful was playing a computer at a level where it won most, but not all, of the games.

Once I got good enough to win most of the games, I'd bump the level up.

In general, playing people who are better helps. However, if the skill gap is too wide, you won't understand how they're beating you.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '19 18:28
    Practice makes perfect then. There are ways that you should practice and practice more. Play all kind of chess games that you can find. I think there are many now, take a look on some free online browser games or app game from official stores like Istores, CHplay, try some other download sitr as apknite or apkpure. All are good. Just try your best to practice daily and it will be better soon. Good luck.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 02:57
    @CreepingDeath

Play better people. Keep playing people your level you never see anything new. You still play the same crap moves because they work sometimes so you think they are good. In fact you are just playing bad moves against bad players and never get better. Try to play people 100 to 1000 points better than you and learn to stop playing bad moves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree