1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 21:38
    Greetings players and fellow patzers ๐Ÿ™‚

This past weekend I was in Harrogate, one of the nicer (expensive) places that chess can take you.
    It was another 5 round event, 90 minutes each + 30 seconds added per move.

I played in the minor section, where ratings were capped at ECF 135.
    This is still a tougher test than the 125 and 115 tournaments I had successes in recently.

And as the title says, some games were not exactly won via a demonstration of my skill!

-------------------------

Game 1 - Zak Tomlinson (105) vs Bruce Oliver (132)

A fairly tough game for round 1.
    I stick with my tried and tested strategy with White, which goes like:
    "Play 1.e4 then see what happens"

He played an opening I have seldom seen, which I didn't handle particularly well,
    then the game revolved around one weak pawn...

So, not too many mistakes in that fairly quiet game... this trend does NOT continue.
    Other games to follow in separate posts.
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 21:51
    Game 2 - Simeon Bott (129) vs Zak Tomlinson (105)

My opponent (that's his actual name, no typo) arrived slightly late for this game,
    as he'd arrived by an early morning train all the way from Coventry.
    I on the other hand didn't sleep too well, so we were both tired... these are not excuses!

The game itself started reasonably well, but then I missed a move which devastated my pawn structure.
    After this, Simeon tried targeting my weak pawns and soon there came winning chances... but for whom?

This game lasted for nearly 4 hours...
    and even though we were both tired, we still played through and discussed the game afterwards!
  3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 21:58
    Game 3 - Zak Tomlinson (105) vs Roy Hadfield (119)

We began playing something I was somewhat familiar with, but like always my opening theory carelessness prevailed.
    After throwing a needless pawn away, I was quickly left fighting for my life for the rest of the game.

Then later, as things looked hopeless, I played one of the better moves I may play all year... and it's only January.

My opponent smiled at the end, also obliging to go through the game in the analysis room afterwards.
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 22:15
    Game 4 - Jim Riddle (118) vs Zak Tomlinson (105)

This one was a puzzler (doh!)
    A Ruy Lopez where I chose an a6 line where I'm not even sure I've played before...
    couldn't find an example on this site anyway.

I once again fail to take the initiative out of the opening and find myself playing only to maintain equality.
    White then falters, allowing an endgame which requires due care and attention.
    The ending was surprising, to say the least.

Not long after the game, Jim caught up with me and we briefly discussed key moments,
    particularly his move 19.Bxe5 which he knew was bad.

As for the ending, I just said "it'll happen to me one day, that's chess karma for you"
    to which he shrugged and said "I'm not bothered, it's only a game, I'll move on"

... And move on he did, winning his last round game vs a 130 rated player.
  5. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 22:44
    Game 5 - Richard McMorran (132) vs Zak Tomlinson (105)

The final round, a game where we both required a win if we wanted to receive a prize.
    We were both on 3 points out of 4, with board 1 having the top player on 4/4 vs the sole player on 3.5/4
    Six of us had 3/4 and we all played each other.

I started with something solid, but later into the opening I once again (again!) fell flat and found myself behind.
    Does my luck prevail in this game?

---------------------------

The fellow on 4/4 won his game, so he finished on 100% and took home the top prize of £500.
    The other two games next to me both ended decisively, so there was a three-way tie for 2nd place. We each got £150.

One of the other 2nd placers was my opponent from round 2, Simeon.
    Here is the final results crosstable:
    http://chess-results.com/tnr408308.aspx?lan=1&art=4&flag=30

The lesson I took from this tournament was that I need to get better in the openings.
    Part of this requires learning more theory, but also just maintaining discipline... don't be careless.

--------------
    In other news,
    The January gradings list was released today, but they have made a mistake.

Apparently, there is a Zak Tomlinson with a grade of 128, which shows all of my graded games...
    ...apart from the ones in Scarborough which are missing.

Then, separately, there is a Zac Tomlinson with a grade of 157, where the Scarborough games are listed!

I always knew I had a split personality... no I didn't... yes I did.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and as always I hope you got something out of this.
    Cheers,
    Zak/Zac
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 13:59
    @64squaresofpain said
    Game 5 - Richard McMorran (132) vs Zak Tomlinson (105)

The final round, a game where we both required a win if we wanted to receive a prize.
    We were both on 3 points out of 4, with board 1 having the top player on 4/4 vs the sole player on 3.5/4
    Six of us had 3/4 and we all played each other.

I started with something solid, but later into the opening I ...[text shortened]...

Anyway, thanks for reading, and as always I hope you got something out of this.
    Cheers,
    Zak/Zac
    I learned a new word -Patzerish.
    Don't know what it means though.
    I'm sure we all appreciate the work you put into these displays and they provide a welcome distraction for me from my losing streak!
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 17:02
    @venda said
    I learned a new word -Patzerish.
    Don't know what it means though.
    I'm sure we all appreciate the work you put into these displays and they provide a welcome distraction for me from my losing streak!
    Like Irish here in the US, part Irish๐Ÿ˜‰
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 17:061 edit
    @64squaresofpain Is this rating system similar to IQ?

I got a bit confused by the the various formulae to convert from your system to USCF or FIDE.

I think your 105 is something like a USCF of 1650 ish, right? and 130 more like 1800 USCF?

For instance, my USCF is about 1750, what would that be like in your system?
  9. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 17:27
    @sonhouse

From the ECF Grading Website:

"With effect from 1st January 2014:

ECF x 7.5 + 700 = FIDE
    (FIDE - 700) / 7.5 = ECF

There used to be a separate formula for non-FIDE Elo conversions, but it has been discontinued."

105 ECF is therefore 1487 FIDE and 130 ECF is 1675
    150 ECF is 1825 and 2000 FiDE is 173 ECF
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 22:37
    @Ragwort
    That chart seems weird. FIDE 1500 is USCF 1658, add 158 to FIDE

But at my range 1600 F is 1720 U, +120 points

and when you get to 2000 F, it says 1970 USCF.
    What's up with that?
  11. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    25 Jan '19 08:47
    @sonhouse

More of the English weekend congresses are organised so as to be eligible for FIDE ratings than was the case 10 years ago so they have a larger pool of people with both ratings from which to derive a more accurate conversion formula. Trying to align the anomolies between national systems is a step too far, as both the welsh and scottish systems are different even before we start crossing the Atlantic!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree